Visit Open-E website

Thread: volume encryption, please?

Question volume encryption, please?

Can open-e encrypt volumes? I know this is functionality built-in to lvm, which open-e uses. We have a customer that wants their data encrypted on our end. I know that encryption makes things more complicated and slower and data recovery almost impossible (and the customer should encrypt their own data if they're really paranoid enough to have us encrypt it). But, it seems like it could be implemented rather quickly. We'd need it mostly for NAS volumes, but I see no reason this couldn't be implemented for any volume type.

We have thought about this and it can be done. We will need you to tell us how you would like to do the encryption and see how long it would take for engineers to put this together. It is simple just the time as there are other projects ahead of us from so many. Send it in to support@open-e.com and cc me.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

I would be interested in this feature as well. I work for a Bank and encryption especially for our offsite target would be excellent.

Just send in what you are seeking in the type of encryption and how you would like it to work with specifics as there are many ways to do this.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Quote Originally Posted by Diakiao
    I would be interested in this feature as well. I work for a Bank and encryption especially for our offsite target would be excellent.
    For the time being, you might want to try FreeNAS which supports encryption.

So would there encryption work for you or are you looking for some other design. Not that we should copy what they have just need confirmation to get this feature in.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Lightbulb

EncFS is an option, as well as dm-crypt. ZFS has transparent encryption, but has only userspace support for linux.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EncFS

BTRFS is the future filesystem of linux, much like ZFS. It will eventually support transparent encryption.

As far as user-interaction for entering keys and such, well, that's probably best left up to the client-side. Really, for ultimate security, the client should encrypt the files themselves.

Diakiao and others - I may not have received your forum emails to me. Please try to send them again.

My mailbox is just full with toooooo many emails from many of you - please allow me time to get to all of you.

Thanks for understanding this.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Any news on volume encryption?

We have a requirement to host a storage solution in a datacenter, and since we can't control the security of the facility (it is shared colocation space with only a flimsy rack lock separating the data from an intruder) our customer insists on encrypting the data on disk.

The customer can live with the fact that after a restart a passphrase needs to be entered manually if no other solution exists. We have remote console access, so besides possibly introducing a bit more downtime we can live with this as well.