Visit Open-E website

Thread: No DSS notification of HW RAID problem

Default No DSS notification of HW RAID problem

Hi,

we're on Atlanta release (5.0up60.7101.3511 32bit) and have experienced a disk failure on our Areca RAID controller.

All standard Areca notifications work (Areca management client running on the DSS server sends emails and SNMP traps and we have an audible alarm), but the DSS itself did not take notice.

I don't know if this is a bug or leads to a feature request - but I would have expected a logged error message on the DSS side upon such a severe failure (RAID degraded). Had we not configured the Areca management client (I only knew about that because we had Arecas in our Linux servers), we would not have been notified - the audible alarm is only heard when being close to the server racks.

With regards,
    jmo

We dont manage the RAID controller events, this is within the controller. With LSI we can because they worked with us on the code others have not provided this and it is alot of work.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    We dont manage the RAID controller events, this is within the controller. With LSI we can because they worked with us on the code others have not provided this and it is alot of work.
    I see... and I understand.

At least that leaves some room for us, we provide integrated systems management solutions

Regards,
    jmo

I am not saying we cant just that currently with the LSI controllers we can. We are looking to do the 3Ware next sometime this year then have the others there after. We just need more time as we have over 200+ requests for so many features.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Lightbulb

Yeah, you guys just keep pumping out software! I've thought of mailing your software engineers a package of fine coffee along with our feature requests, so that they can get it done!

Yes - we are coffee junkies big time!!
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"