Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YASC , Yet another system corrupted!

Unhappy YASC , Yet another system corrupted!

Another system corrupted after a power loss , no way bulletproof , a barebone linux could take alot more abuse without complaining like this , please Open-E stop pushing new functionality and make this product working like its suppose to , Todd send me the return address for this DOM module ,

Keven, Send the SN of the module and address to support@open-e.comas the forum does not handle the RMA process. Also is this the new modules that are rectangle or square and what version was it on before crashing. The new modules recatangles are newer and we ask all to set the BIOS to use 1.1 USB or Legacy mode.

Also new DSS V6 you don't have to use our USB modules and you can use any of your own USB Flash stick or drives.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    Keven, Send the SN of the module and address to support@open-e.comas the forum does not handle the RMA process. Also is this the new modules that are rectangle or square and what version was it on before crashing. The new modules recatangles are newer and we ask all to set the BIOS to use 1.1 USB or Legacy mode.

Also new DSS V6 you don't have to use our USB modules and you can use any of your own USB Flash stick or drives.

This module is an NFR version so serial number is 0000000 and I don't want to use it anymore , BIOS to 1.1 USB really scare me for people that want to do backup with external usb drive's, anyway I will not put anymore critical data on the product.

We did not see the ticket sent to support did you send it? If not please send the "Not for Resale" as this is old.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Lightbulb

I've had many "system corrupted" errors, but have never lost data on the open-e systems. It is incredibly annoying that it happens (and open-e probably should switch to a filesystem like JFFS2 which is designed to be used on flash), but you just swap out the module or boot from a CD and your data is still there, safe and sound.

There's also the option of installing open-e dss (atlanta i.e. build 3511 or later) on any hard disk or RAID volume slice. I actually still like the ability to easily swap out modules, even though the stupid things keep failing. I've been looking at some USB thumb drives that use both wear-leveling and single-level cells. They're about $30 online.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotbeat
    I've had many "system corrupted" errors, but have never lost data on the open-e systems. It is incredibly annoying that it happens (and open-e probably should switch to a filesystem like JFFS2 which is designed to be used on flash), but you just swap out the module or boot from a CD and your data is still there, safe and sound.

There's also the option of installing open-e dss (atlanta i.e. build 3511 or later) on any hard disk or RAID volume slice. I actually still like the ability to easily swap out modules, even though the stupid things keep failing. I've been looking at some USB thumb drives that use both wear-leveling and single-level cells. They're about $30 online.

I'm working at the small business level and I could not put that kind of problems at my customers sites , even with UPS if for any reason the battery fail I will receive alot of calls just for a small power lost and this is not an option , I want to use commercial product exactly to prevent this , I have alot of Macintosh customers so the AFP part is really a thing that I need and the transition from OSX 10.4 to 10.5 stopped me from using it because of some incompatibility with netatalk used with Open-E , I tried to help the engineer at Open-E without success ( they don't care ), I don't need Open-E to made that kind of functionnality , put linux Debian 5.0 and you will have exactly the same things after some hours of config and you will have access to your system config file , and when the things will be broken no more waiting from support@open-e.com. This product just don't catch the whole thing of OpenSource and this is why Openfiler is probably an inferior product that create more interest , because when someting is broken you could repair it yourself and discuss with others about it . When you use OpenSource software to create commercial one you need to give the software and then you could sell the support to get it configured correctly , remembered the Open-E Free version saga? A dead horse

Hold your horses… - I'd say. I am working as an admin in a midsized ads agency and we're running the complete Apple stack. I am using Open-E to provide my Xserves and Parallels VMs iSCSI devices that they then can share out (or do something else with them). Plus setting up volume replication with Open-E is as easy as ut can possibly get - try that with OpenFilerm where you will have to setup the drdb config on your own.

I checked CentOS, OpenFiler and FreeNAS and they all don't compete against Open-E, especially when it comes to speed and ease of use.
    I myself wouldn't go for the USB thingy as well, but more due to the fact that my old Dell PE's and FSC Primergys won't boot from them and that the GUI tends to be so slow.
    So I decided to go with Atlanta, which I simply installed on the local hard drives. The speed of the GUI is much snappier this way, and I never had a problem with the filesystem as well.

You can get the same performance out of Debian or any other Linux Distro, if you agree to get down and patch your kernel, thus enabeling the better performance modes of SCST, which is actually why Open-E is superior in speed in comparison with all ietd based solutions, which are of course easier to deploy.

I think that Open-E give you the most bang for the buck.

Just my 2c,
    budy
    There's no OS like OS X!

Quote Originally Posted by Robotbeat

This is kind of disconcerting to hear about system corruption just as I was in the middle of testing my Open-e for deployment in the next month or so.

What would be the procedure to combat this in the event it should happen?
    What steps would I take to recover from something horrible like this happening?

I'm testing V6 so not sure if its different then V5, but I am using the square USB dom I had gotten with DSS V5 and overwrote it with V6. I would assume in the future I could re-run the V6 installer and overwrite the DOM and the restore my saved config settings? The disk configs are stored on the arrays themselves, correct?

Our Datacenter recently had a UPS go out so this kind of power outage is possible and I'd like to be prepared.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by budy
    Hold your horses… - I'd say. I am working as an admin in a midsized ads agency and we're running the complete Apple stack. I am using Open-E to provide my Xserves and Parallels VMs iSCSI devices that they then can share out (or do something else with them). Plus setting up volume replication with Open-E is as easy as ut can possibly get - try that with OpenFilerm where you will have to setup the drdb config on your own.

I checked CentOS, OpenFiler and FreeNAS and they all don't compete against Open-E, especially when it comes to speed and ease of use.
    I myself wouldn't go for the USB thingy as well, but more due to the fact that my old Dell PE's and FSC Primergys won't boot from them and that the GUI tends to be so slow.
    So I decided to go with Atlanta, which I simply installed on the local hard drives. The speed of the GUI is much snappier this way, and I never had a problem with the filesystem as well.

You can get the same performance out of Debian or any other Linux Distro, if you agree to get down and patch your kernel, thus enabeling the better performance modes of SCST, which is actually why Open-E is superior in speed in comparison with all ietd based solutions, which are of course easier to deploy.

I think that Open-E give you the most bang for the buck.

Just my 2c,
    budy
    I'm talking about NAS part of the product with AFP protocol not ISCSI connect over virtual machine and share over it ,about ISCSI I know that only two ISCSI initiator exist for MAC OS X and one is Atto and the other is from studio network solutions and the last is not supported except if you used their SAN product so you're on your own ( or public forum ) if you crash and Atto Xtend is beta at best so forget ISCSI for Mac if you like your data.

I don't want a free product I want a working product with REAL individual support when
    you need it like every commercial company in this world give you when you pay for it.
    I installed last year a ISCSI SAN from Lefthand Networks with 9TB sync and async setup
    in a Mac lab that cost over 50K , Open-E DSS was here during the first testing has an option but finally the product has not fit the bill because of a 4TB replication limit , this year a new project at the same customer site but this time for archiving purpose so I put back the Open-E option on the table and another time the product fail to deliver for both reliability and support.

vkeven is not considering how simple it is with Open-E vs the other free or OS's that are out there. I am running several DSS products in our company and the simplicity and ease of use is good for our operation and we had a power hit last month and lost a system but move the RAID controller and the USB module was toasted as well but when support told us to use the Demo USB trial version we were up and running in now time.

So if was to use these free versions that VKeven is talking about I would more work to do and let's not forget that there support is NOT FREE - in fact it is more expensive the DSS itself and what VKeven is not telling you all is that if you use the replication support this an annual charge ever year making it more $$$ and with Open-E support is free.

Also there are issues with the other free products that are out there and we all know it and I think your issues with AFP are singled out. I know there are many software packages out there that have soooo many issues even the expensive ones and I think if you want to pay for $20K for a LeftHand product then go ahead. In this economy the DSS is a great product and sounds like VKeven should go this way as I have seen his other posts comparing Open-E to other very expensive product. This is surely a compliment to Open-E. VKeven I don’t think your statement is far when you say Open-E does not care as we have had an issue in the past where they created an update to fix our NFS issue. You must have had something that was very rare or can’t be done and now you are broadcasting it to make them look bad, I have seen other postings that you did similar statements but what gets me is that you are working with a NFR are you not a user or did you ever pay for DSS? Sounds like you did not.

webguyz, we are looking at the DSS V6 now for a new datacenter next month and simulated a failed test and was able to use another flash stick to revive our data in just one reboot from having to create another DSS V6 flash usb stick - very cool and we would not even think of using a windows product.

So you are ok with the DSS product and your data is safe, just use a good raid controller - i like the areca 1680's.