Visit Open-E website

Thread: YASC , Yet another system corrupted!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy YASC , Yet another system corrupted!

Another system corrupted after a power loss , no way bulletproof , a barebone linux could take alot more abuse without complaining like this , please Open-E stop pushing new functionality and make this product working like its suppose to , Todd send me the return address for this DOM module ,

Keven, Send the SN of the module and address to support@open-e.comas the forum does not handle the RMA process. Also is this the new modules that are rectangle or square and what version was it on before crashing. The new modules recatangles are newer and we ask all to set the BIOS to use 1.1 USB or Legacy mode.

Also new DSS V6 you don't have to use our USB modules and you can use any of your own USB Flash stick or drives.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    Keven, Send the SN of the module and address to support@open-e.comas the forum does not handle the RMA process. Also is this the new modules that are rectangle or square and what version was it on before crashing. The new modules recatangles are newer and we ask all to set the BIOS to use 1.1 USB or Legacy mode.

Also new DSS V6 you don't have to use our USB modules and you can use any of your own USB Flash stick or drives.

This module is an NFR version so serial number is 0000000 and I don't want to use it anymore , BIOS to 1.1 USB really scare me for people that want to do backup with external usb drive's, anyway I will not put anymore critical data on the product.

We did not see the ticket sent to support did you send it? If not please send the "Not for Resale" as this is old.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Lightbulb

I've had many "system corrupted" errors, but have never lost data on the open-e systems. It is incredibly annoying that it happens (and open-e probably should switch to a filesystem like JFFS2 which is designed to be used on flash), but you just swap out the module or boot from a CD and your data is still there, safe and sound.

There's also the option of installing open-e dss (atlanta i.e. build 3511 or later) on any hard disk or RAID volume slice. I actually still like the ability to easily swap out modules, even though the stupid things keep failing. I've been looking at some USB thumb drives that use both wear-leveling and single-level cells. They're about $30 online.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotbeat
    I've had many "system corrupted" errors, but have never lost data on the open-e systems. It is incredibly annoying that it happens (and open-e probably should switch to a filesystem like JFFS2 which is designed to be used on flash), but you just swap out the module or boot from a CD and your data is still there, safe and sound.

There's also the option of installing open-e dss (atlanta i.e. build 3511 or later) on any hard disk or RAID volume slice. I actually still like the ability to easily swap out modules, even though the stupid things keep failing. I've been looking at some USB thumb drives that use both wear-leveling and single-level cells. They're about $30 online.

I'm working at the small business level and I could not put that kind of problems at my customers sites , even with UPS if for any reason the battery fail I will receive alot of calls just for a small power lost and this is not an option , I want to use commercial product exactly to prevent this , I have alot of Macintosh customers so the AFP part is really a thing that I need and the transition from OSX 10.4 to 10.5 stopped me from using it because of some incompatibility with netatalk used with Open-E , I tried to help the engineer at Open-E without success ( they don't care ), I don't need Open-E to made that kind of functionnality , put linux Debian 5.0 and you will have exactly the same things after some hours of config and you will have access to your system config file , and when the things will be broken no more waiting from support@open-e.com. This product just don't catch the whole thing of OpenSource and this is why Openfiler is probably an inferior product that create more interest , because when someting is broken you could repair it yourself and discuss with others about it . When you use OpenSource software to create commercial one you need to give the software and then you could sell the support to get it configured correctly , remembered the Open-E Free version saga? A dead horse

Quote Originally Posted by Robotbeat

This is kind of disconcerting to hear about system corruption just as I was in the middle of testing my Open-e for deployment in the next month or so.

What would be the procedure to combat this in the event it should happen?
    What steps would I take to recover from something horrible like this happening?

I'm testing V6 so not sure if its different then V5, but I am using the square USB dom I had gotten with DSS V5 and overwrote it with V6. I would assume in the future I could re-run the V6 installer and overwrite the DOM and the restore my saved config settings? The disk configs are stored on the arrays themselves, correct?

Our Datacenter recently had a UPS go out so this kind of power outage is possible and I'd like to be prepared.

Thanks!