Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade License DSS to DSS V6?

Question Upgrade License DSS to DSS V6?

Hello,

the license upgrade from old DSS V5 to new DSS V6 is not free ??

I think open-e has free minor and major updates for his customers? My OEM reseller already called me and said it will be free ...
    regards,
    Lukas

descience.NET
    Dr. Lukas Pfeiffer
    A-1140 Wien
    Austria
    www.dotnethost.at

DSS v6 b4550 iSCSI autofailover with Windows 2008 R2 failover cluster (having still some issues with autofailover).

2 DSS: 3HE Supermicro X7DBE BIOS 2.1a, Areca ARC-1261ML FW 1.48, 8x WD RE3 1TB, 1x Intel PRO1000MT Dualport, 1x Intel PRO1000PT Dualport.

2 Windows Nodes: Intel SR1500 + Intel SR1560, Dual XEON E54xx, 32 GB RAM, 6 NICs. Windows Server 2008 R2.

Open-E provides for free: 'updates' within one version!
    Improving quality, removing bugs, adding some functionality, etc
    This is why, we were never charging for updates within DSS v.5 or
    iSCSI-R3... etc.

'Upgrade' is usually related to creating a new product!
    Similar to other software manufacturers:
    windows 2000 -> windows xp,
    adobe cs2 -> adobe cs4
    vmware vs3 -> vmware vs4
    oracle 10 -> oracle 11
    etc, etc...

Open-E does charge when deliver a major (!) change in technology, additional
    functionality, different interface, installation media,...
    Such upgrade charge is nothing new at Open-E, we did it in past by major
    technology changes as well:
    NAS -> NAS-XSR
    NAS-XSR -> DSS
    DSS -> DSS V6

Sorry for inconvenience caused.

I am very disappointed in this. I have only been an Open-E customer for 120 days, if I had realized that there was going to be a cost associated with keeping my virtually NIB product up to date I might have waited.

Also, I checked the comparison, you only offer 6 new features. This doesn't look like a "major upgrade" to me. I accept that the cost of doing business is increasing, and I also accept that it might be necessary to pay for your support contracts. But if those contracts are current then I don't see any point in charging for upgrades.

Also, you might offer free upgrades for anyone who bought the product recently (since 1/1/2009 for example).

My $0.02
    Neal Leyendecker

I see where you are coming from but what DSS V6 will have in the future releases the DSS V5 could not do. Similar to Microsoft products,... try to upgrade from WSS 2003 to 2008, you will be amazed and the cost and not to mention the upgrade issues. I purchased a Windows XP many moons ago and then Vista came out. I asked them to give me this for free as if I waited 3 weeks more I could have received it and never got a reply..... but that is MS.

With DSS V6 we will be able to much more then DSS V5 and DSS V6 has been in development for 2 years now. Under the hood is allot more development then the DSS V5. Just like MS (but with free support), it is part of the sw evolution.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

I won't argue with your logic, but in an apples-to-apples comparison this isn't like going from 2003 to 2008, the feature list upgrade for those product is hundreds of items deep.

Neal Leyendecker

Lightbulb

Todd, the difference between dss and windows server is that the customer has some idea of when the End of Life (EOL) of the product is. Same for Linux distros or Firefox. The different linux kernels don't stop all maintenance releases once a new major kernel version is released. They keep providing maintenance and security updates for years afterwards. With Open-E, we have no idea what the EOL is. It could be a month, it could be two or three years. There needs to be some sort of release plan, some sort of contract with the customers.

Speaking of comparing to Windows: What if I buy a system with Windows Vista on it two weeks before Windows 7 comes out? I get a free upgrade voucher. There needs to be some framework, some level of trust between Open-E and the customer. Sure, we can whine to you, Todd, until you give us a free upgrade, but that's not how to build a successful, international business.

We have done much research on this and can argue the same. Many will just say that all sw manufactures should give their products for free for the life of the company not the life of the product and then it will end for the updates and so on. Anyway, your message is being viewed by many in the company and we thank you for your opinions. Please send any comments to info@open-e.com and let's use the forum for more technical needs to help others.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

I agree that we should post the EOL on our products - this is being processed as we speak to put in place with management.

We can kick this around to no end and I wish MS gave me that voucher back when I got my system but they did not . Anyway we can argue to no end in sight and I would like for all to please send your comments to info@open-e.com so we can review them.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

I understand the perspective from both sides here. However, in previous experiences with non-mainstream developers, usually it's like, "If you purchased the product after 04/01/2009, you are entitled to a free upgrade."

I understand this can be a loss of revenue for you guys, but at the same time, there are people like me out there that two weeks after buying the product find out there is a new version about to be released and has no free upgrade path. When I first heard (during my installtion) about the Beta, I was excited to see the new features and improvements that have been in development for so long. However, I would have waited to move forward with my purchase would I have known there was a cost involved.

I think that moving forward having a posted and updated Product roadmap will help customers avoid these problem; however, I think Open-E corporate should consider coming to terms with current customers that purchased during a defined time-frame. At least maybe offer a discounted rate of upgrade.

Just a suggestion.

Drew

I will add my 2 cents as well...

While I agree with all sides, I also have to side with Todd on this one. If you want to disagree with me, contact IBM, EMC or NetApp and get quotes for features to add new items. I have just spent the last year fighting with IBM regarding our DS6800, which, costed over $250k for less than 2TB of storage 5 years ago. I want to add a a new 4gb fiber channel, or an additional tray of disks. The quote I got back was over $25k for additional shelf, plus the $10k software upgrade to use the additional TB (yes, 1TB).

While this isn't exactly apples to apples, I would look at this as a fair comparison. The features the Open-E provides at a fraction of the costs is unmeasurable. If everything was free, then IBM, EMC, and NetApp would just keep rising their prices and keep development at a stand still. If it wasn't for solutions like open-e, openfiler, freenas you probably wouldn't see the upcoming evolution of solid state, FCoE, or even 10Gb iSCSI. The big boys have to keep up...competition drives innovation...'nuff said.