Visit Open-E website

Thread: iSCSI to FC Volumes

Default iSCSI/Fibre targets

can a lun be mapped to both iscsi & fibre targets.
    using a SAN filesystem to manage access is this possible??

They cannot share the same lun.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Lightbulb

Open-e should work on a way to convert a fibre-channel logical volume into an iscsi logical volume (and back again). This would be easiest probably with file i/o iscsi volumes.

First this should be posted in the DSS as FC volumes will not be for iSCSI-R3!
    Second if and when this feature is availble it will be for DSS V6 not V5!

Yes, we can do this but it has not been done yet as there are some
    differences in our system and in implementation. You have to keep in mind that just becasue it can be done does not mean overnight and there has to be a business understanding before doing - Robotbeat do you want this feature instead of NAS Auto failover? I think you maybe delaying other 200+ requests that are currently underway and we dont have a staff of 200+engineers like our buddys EMC.

Anyway in FC we have only fileIO - in iSCSI there is blockIO and fileIO as you know.
    In FC you can choose different blocksize - in iSCSI no! These differences are in our implementation and in the future there should be such possibility, although, as always ;-) no ETA - unless you have a PO for 50 now you have the managments attention.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hi Todd,

Sorry, we keep asking and asking for features, but it is just because we really like Open-E and want it to be the best and do all kinds of cools stuff, and one of the reasons we like it is because you guys hear our requests, so even though it may be overwhelming we will keep asking!

I think this will be really usefull too, so just something for the developers to consider when deciding the roadmap as even if there are more important things this may be very easy to do... only the devs will know...

Actually we are thinking of creating something on our website where you will be able to post a feature list so we can collect the amount of users requesting this to help us count how many are needing this feature. The message was to make sure that all understand that we receive so many request that we do hear them but need more time. So it was not directed to you but to others that are new and this helps them understand that we cant do this overnight.

Keep them coming until we get this new site in position.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Lightbulb

Just allow us to post a thread as a poll, with different options. Most BB/forum sites I've used support poll threads. I've thought about starting a thread so people can vote on features, but this forum software doesn't support it. Not really a big deal, but it would let you pretty easily figure out what sort of features people would like.

Granted, it would mostly be sampling people who frequent this board often like me .

Personally, it'd be a nice feature to have, but it isn't absolutely necessary.

We will be working on this 4 sure !
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"