Visit Open-E website
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade License DSS to DSS V6?

Thumbs down ?

yes, I use DSS v5 only for 63 days !!!

You said I need to buy v6 now ?!
    Forget it!

I don't see why? A major update? Where is command line, webgui for setting users rights (ACL? your kidding...) and many other.
    Yes, v6 give us a change in webgui, but I don't see (maybe just for me) a major improvment.
    DSS is more like a NAS for newbie with a nice gui.

And for your bussines I think it was right to offer free upgrade for those who bought (like me) a product close to a "major" update!. Or simply warn us! I could wait, quietly...
    I'm very dissapointed.

With the DSS V6 we will be able to provide new features that will only be available for DSS V6 like 16TB volumes replicated, new iSCSI Target "SCST", BackupExec, Thin provision, iSCSI backup functions, VTL and so many others that are not able to with DSS V5.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

I agree with jsinclair to a certain extent, but as you said it's not apples to apples, we are talking about the difference between fortune 500 corporations and small business developers here.

Todd, I don't think it is fair for people to argue that there aren't new features to be excited about; as well, the new features that this upgrade will allow for in the near future. A lot of us in the community work for software developing companies and we understand what Open-E is going through.

However, going back to the timeframe and the lack of notification of a new version should tell you guys something. I don't expect you guys to back down, I just wanted to voice an opinion that I think is shared with some in this community.

Maybe you guys should really start offering support contracts that give users the ability to lock in upgrades for 1,2,3 years, this would help generate revenue and also allow people to have some peace of mind knowing they are safe for the life of the product roadmap. I know I would be willing to buy a support contract.

Quote Originally Posted by mihai
    yes, I use DSS v5 only for 63 days !!!

You said I need to buy v6 now ?!
    Forget it!

I don't see why? A major update? Where is command line, webgui for setting users rights (ACL? your kidding...) and many other.
    Yes, v6 give us a change in webgui, but I don't see (maybe just for me) a major improvment.
    DSS is more like a NAS for newbie with a nice gui.

And for your bussines I think it was right to offer free upgrade for those who bought (like me) a product close to a "major" update!. Or simply warn us! I could wait, quietly...
    I'm very dissapointed.
    Mihai I don’t think that is a far statement what you say. I have seen the posts that Todd has provided for all to test and the date when they where to release this. Did you test V6, we did on 2 Intel boxes and we had no problem with ADS and the ACL’s - they even have this in the GUI and in the manual for they use POSIX as stated in the manual – RTFM “Read the fr#$@ manual”.

We see what EMC, NetApp and others do that don’t warn us or give us a break in pricing, and let’s not forget what Mr. Microsoft will do to you as well.

If DSS is going to have like what Todd said for 16TB replications for volumes – then wow that is worth it!!

Do you know what the cost is for support for Openfiler for 16TB!! $1,800 in Euros PER NODE – meaning one system not 2!! Here is more good news for you that this is a yearly charge!! Wow now you pay more!! So we pay no support for DSS and it is a onetime charge for that version and the upgrade can’t be much more then the support cost. Not trying to kill you mihai but my god man when you look at what the costs are for the other competitors to what they are offering here it just sounds like a bunch of new engineers that just started in the industry.
    We will be upgrading our DSS V5 to V6 ASAP!
    Todd – Do you know what the cost is and when this will be available?

I don't think paying for V6 is that big a deal

Some of the companies that I have worked for before will do everything in thier power to not broadcast when the next big release will be.

If you have been surfing the forum, you would have seen posts about DSS V6 and knew something was up.

I have been using DSS for almost 2 years with free updates. (Autofailover was a biggie)

With some of the other software that I use. I need to pay every year.
    try any antivirus program

Thanks guys for all your input. Truly if you knew how much hard work and dedication that went into this product this would not be an issue, but that is our pain.

If we gave it all for free then how to pay for development? Do we charge a yearly fee like Openfiler does?

So for DSS you pay the same as OpenFiler for 16TB support only - $1500 or more yearly but no upgrade costs. If that is the case then - COUNT ME IN we would make more money as DSS is less then this one time cost that is too low in comparison to the free products.

Ok I was dreaming too much..... But I think I may push for this business plan .

I think symm and jason and rykerlee made some good points as they are from the enterprise side of things and the others are from a different side of the spectrum that also make a good point as well.

In a world of sw evolution no one will have the perfect answer and we will have to end this here and now and move onto more technical questions for others.

Thanks guys for all your input - PRO's or CON's
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Sounds like a plan, on another note, I can't wait to get v6 up and running

I'm about to purchase another 16TB license by the end of the month. DSS is by far the best product out there that I have used.

I must unfortunately agree with the CON's.
    We bought v5 in October 2008. Until now we was not able to put our 2 boxes into production. One bug follows the other. What will be in v6? Why should I spent again money for v6 starting the same problems with new features.

BUT: what we are willing to pay for is a support contract having reliable response times and bug fixing.

regards

I second mhubert here. Being able to purchase annual support with upgrades would be a good thing to have in the arsenal of products. I bet that there're more then a handful of customers who would purchase that.

Btw, I purchased my DSS5 licenses on 29th of april this year - this is less than 3 months!!

Cheers,
    budy
    There's no OS like OS X!

Have to agree with Budy. To sustain ongoing support and development you have to sell some type of annual contract that includes updates. Without it you don't have recurring income and can't pay the troops. A lot of software vendors sell such yearly contracts for 10-20% of the full price. We want Open-E to stay around so a reasonable amount for 'update protection' would ensure that.