Visit Open-E website

Thread: 32-bit mode only in iSCSI-R3 (3293)?

Default 32-bit mode only in iSCSI-R3 (3293)?

Quick question that I have submitted to Support, but no answer as yet, so now think I have asked a silly/basic/obvious question I should have known the answer to!

We received an iSCSI-R3 (3293) DoM and it only appears to support 32-bit mode. We can see this from both the boot menu (TAB or ESC on boot) and boot options.

Although our customers have only used 32-bit mode in the past, they are now moving to 64-bit, and the customer for this DoM has already configured their data using a DSS Demo, which defaulted to 64-bit mode. So this new iSCSI-R3 DoM cannot access any of the volumes they have created – this causes them some concern!

I am sure previous iSCSI-R3 DoM’s have supported 64-bit mode, but right now I only have access to DSS and I know it supports 64-bit mode. I also thought all three products were built on the same kernel/s. We note 3293 is the current version, so no upgrade possible there.

Thanks.

Correct that the iSCSI-R3 is only 32bit mode and only the DSS has the switch for 32 or 64bit mode. They can still see there data if they go to the DSS in the Console Tools CTRL + ALT + T then Boot options then System architecture you will be able to select to 32bit mode. Save and reboot.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Thanks for that reply.
    So just to make sure I have it right, if they make DSS startup in 32-bit mode, they will still be able to access the volume created while in 64-bit mode (I thought this may have been a problem), then boot to iSCSI-R3, and the volume will be there, yes?

I guess I should just go & try it, but it's eaisier to ask you!
    Is there any plans for 64-bit iSCSI capability?
    Thanks.

No problem asking .

If they created the volume in 32bit mode and they switch the DSS from it's default 64bit mode to 32bit they will see there data.

Sorry to say that there will be no plans for the iSCSI-R3 to have this feature.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Thanks for the info.