Visit Open-E website
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 32bit boot of DSS v6 light

Thumbs down

Okay, so how do we do this exactly? I get nothing from the console that appears to give me access to the kernel.cfg file. In fact, on the 32-bit lite version, the console appears to pretty much be worthless.

Open-E developers, if you won't allow us to automatically boot the 32-bit load then why bother keeping it in there ??? Even in a lab environment, if I remote-boot the SAN I need to know it will come back up and I have 32-bit hardware in my lab (my company owns several paid-for licenses). This is an easy thing to do to give us an option to choose the 32-bit option as the default.

I love Open-E...hate the control factor.

RG

DSS Lite comes only in 32bit mode only the paid version can you get 64bit mode and if you upgrade to the paid version and enter the product then you have the option to use the 64bit mode. Keep in mind that this is a free version with limited options and you dont have to use it as you can test the Trial version that has the 64bit mode and you can use it in your lab for 60 days and you have all the options like the paid version. Keep in mind that we wanted to offer a free version for many that dont want to pay for just simple iSCSI or NAS functions.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

And I really appreciate you offering the Lite version!

But here's the thing: even though I have the Lite version running in my lab, both the 32-bit and 64-bit options appear when booting, with the 64-bit being the default. Whether it would run or not (my hardware is 32-bit) from a license perspective isn't really the point. The point is that since it defaults to 64-bit the system cannot be rebooted without manually being there to choose the 32-bit option.

I've tried the console C-A-T option but no boot options are there. How do I get rid of the 64-bit option so it automatically loads the 32-bit? Do I need to put the trial license back on, make this change and then re-install the Lite license?

Yes you are correct that it should be removed so there is no confusion as to which mode you are running in but regardless you will only be in 32bit mode even though the option is there.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Todd, I am saying that I DO WANT 32-bit. My hardware is 32-bit so this is good.

I want to remove the 64-bit option so I can reboot my SAN without having to be there to manually choose the 32-bit option. How can I remove the 64-bit option?

Thanks

How can I remove the 64-bit option?

Thanks

Ok, if this is really a problem seeing the 64bit notation (though it wont matter as only the Lite will work in 32bit mode) then you will need to do this. For us to make a special version we could but for a free version I dont want spend time for the Devs when I rather have them work on bigger features of the full version of our product like Active / Active Failover.

You must mount the USB stick to your desktop - and remove vmliznuz4 and vmklinuz4.0.cfg files from /b[build_number]/boot folder then run vmenu_upd.sh under Linux
    or bootinst.exe under windows if you remove the vmlinuz3* file - you will remove 32 bits.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

You're not understanding. It's not a problem "seeing" the 64-bit option. It's a problem that the option is there and selected by default and I can't change it to default to 32-bit. If I reboot this box, the 64-bit option is selected by default and if I don't change it to the 32-bit option the box will not boot up.

Again, if I DON'T MANUALLY change to the 32-bit option every time I reboot then the box FAILS to load Open-E.

This is not about "seeing" the option in there. I don't care about what it looks like. All I want to do is to remotely reboot that box from time to time and know it will come back up, which it won't do right now because it defaults to the non-existent 64-bit kernel. If the boot options were available in the console for the Lite version this issue would be easy to work around.

I have the install already loaded to disk drives so no option to mount on my PC. I guess I'll have to convert this one back to the trial license, use the console tools to change the boot option to 32-bit and then convert to the Lite license again.

I will see if we can get this fixed in the next release in January in the mean time you will have to use the Trial version on the usb stick then set to 32bit mode then update with the Lite key then reboot and it will always start at 32bit.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Thanks Todd.

I was hoping to find a way to do this after it was installed since I already have test data on the system but I think at this point I'm going to modify the kernel.cfg in the .iso so it only shows the 32-bit. Then copy my data, backup the config and reinstall with my modified .iso.

Thanks for making a great product! Like I said earlier...my company has purchased several Open-E licenses because we think highly of you.