Visit Open-E website

Thread: Warning: two or more network adapters are in the same subnetwork: Anything wrong??

Question Warning: two or more network adapters are in the same subnetwork: Anything wrong??

any idea what's the purpose of that warning message?

If I require 4-8 Ethernet ports for iSCSI teaming purpose, would there be any problem? Why can't I have more than 1 NIC port appear in the same subnetwork?

Hi!

You shouldnīt have two NICs in the same subnet.

Your configuration could be:

NIC1 IP 192.168.188.1/24
    NIC2 IP 192.168.189.1/24

and add both to a bonding IP e.g.

192.168.190.1/24

with "balance-rr".

DerFux

Thanks DerFux.

What if I only have 2 iSCSI SAN router and require more than 1 NIC connecting to each routher for bonding IP purpose?

Sorry if the question sounded silly....I just started configuring iSCSI SAN....

Hi!

I donīt know if I understand your question or configuration completely.

If you have 2 iSCSI switches and want to connect 2 bonded NICs to each switch your configuration could be

NIC1 IP 192.168.1.1/24
    NIC2 IP 192.168.2.1/24

and the bonded IP to the first switch e.g.

192.168.10.1/24

with "balance-rr"

plus

NIC3 IP 192.168.3.1/24
    NIC4 IP 192.168.4.1/24

and the bonded IP to the first switch e.g.

192.168.20.1/24

with "balance-rr".

The important part is that each "physical" IP plus each bonded IP are in a separate network.

DerFux

Hi!

Sorry, copy and paste.

It has to be:

plus

NIC3 IP 192.168.3.1/24
    NIC4 IP 192.168.4.1/24

and the bonded IP to the SECOND switch e.g.

192.168.20.1/24

DerFux

How do I team up the NICs if both are on diff subnet? Which subnet should my ESXi server be in order to connect to DSSV6? All my SAN configurations are on separated but common/shared iSCSI subnet. DSSV6 is diff?

Quote Originally Posted by tingshen

any idea what's the purpose of that warning message?

If I require 4-8 Ethernet ports for iSCSI teaming purpose, would there be any problem? Why can't I have more than 1 NIC port appear in the same subnetwork?
    You need to update your build as 3530 is very OLD!!! Use the latest build 5626 and you wont see this message.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Crescendas
    How do I team up the NICs if both are on diff subnet? Which subnet should my ESXi server be in order to connect to DSSV6? All my SAN configurations are on separated but common/shared iSCSI subnet. DSSV6 is diff?
    Bonding or Teaming NICs will have only one IP Address but you can have more then one Bond or Team from other NICs and if you have different subnets you can use the Static routing function in DSS V6 from the GUI located at > SETUP -> network -> Interfaces -> Function: Static routing
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

I read from the FAQ that the configuration for iSCSI should be active-backup with MPIO instead of balance-rr with bonding, which should be used for NAS instead.

Also, I still can't understand why I can't have 2 NICs in the same subnet since MPIO for iSCSI is suppose to be multipath connections. And if I setup static route, doesn't this disable multipath functionality such that when a path is broken, it no longer able to auto-route to another alternative path since it has been fixed to a static route???