Visit Open-E website

Thread: Fake RAID???

Default Fake RAID???

Hi all,

I just installed my new Promise FastTrak TX2300. When I boot, DSS V6 sees it as a "Fake RAID"!!! Why? I configured the RAID-controller to set the disks in RAID1... So it isn't a Fake RAID Has someone an explanation for this?

Quote Originally Posted by fobe
    Hi all,

I just installed my new Promise FastTrak TX2300. When I boot, DSS V6 sees it as a "Fake RAID"!!! Why? I configured the RAID-controller to set the disks in RAID1... So it isn't a Fake RAID Has someone an explanation for this?
    Is this because I use the same brand& size of disks?

I removed the RAID-controller and attached the disks to the 2 SATA-connections on the main-board. This gives the same result and my main-board doesn't support RAID at all!!!
    The warning says: "Fake RAID detected on /dev/sdx. Fake RAID is not supported - please use software RAID instead." I don't use any RAID settings. Can I safely make a S/W RAID1 ?

were the Disk formatted as a raid before ?

can you try connecting 1 disk to the motherboard and let us know what happens

They we clean/new disks. When I attach 1 disk there's no problem at all.
    I also did a setup with 1 500GB and 1 1,5 GB disk and gives the same "message"...

Is there a possibility that it's a "windows" RAID-controller? So it needs software to run to make it a RAID1-array? (like the old days with win-modems).

I set in the BIOS of the RAID-controller to RAID1, looks to me that this should be enough...

Indeed the TX2300 is basically a SATA controller that comes with special software drivers that handle the RAID part...

The TX2300 probably wrote something to the drives when you created and initialized the mirror and that is why they are still detected as fake RAID even if you plug them directly to the motherboard... Did you deleted the mirror before unplugging the drives from the TX2300?

You will need to clean the partition table on the drives first to get rid of that error...

Thanks m8, the disk had indeed still the RAID1 setting. I removed it and the warning was gone !

Question

Is there a way to initialize the disks inside of DSS so that the "fake RAID" message goes away?

try delete containts of unit in console c-a-x
    but this will DELETE everything on the drives

I had some drives that kept old raid settings, this was the only thing I found to work