Visit Open-E website

Thread: Intel Storview?

Default Intel Storview?

This is one for you guys running the Intel SSR212MC2 platform, I was led to believe that the Intel Storview app was integrated with DSS for the management of the enclosure but I can't seem to find it

Am I doing something wrong or is the only enclosure monitoring what is listed in the Hardware tab? If that is the case to update the firmware of the enclosure I would need to boot another os on the box to get Storview.

Go to the Console and enter CTRL + ALT + W then go to Hardware options and select the the SSR212MC2.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hi,

Thanks for that I realize I have posted this in the wrong section we are using the demo (looking to purchase the product) of V6 so maybe a mod could move this thread.

I take it Storview is still integrated in V6? Also should I be able to access it by browsing http://open-eboxname:9292 ???

I have checked the hardware options and Open-E has selected the SSR212MC2 but I cannot connect to it?

Kind Regards

Check in the GUI in Status > Hardware > Hardware monitoring you should see the status. If not send in the logs to support@open-e.com so they can see what is going on.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Does that just give me various info on the status of the enclosure or is Storview actually runnung? For example Storview would allow me to update the enclosure firmware.

just the status
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

nightmare99 (what a username!), we supply the MC2, & the Storview application, tho available in Linux flavour, is not installed "inside" DSS. Instead, Intel/Xyratex supply storage software developers like Open-E with hardware monitoring code/modules that they can use to integrate with their software.

DSS's interface is the Status > Hardware > Hardware monitoring page/section, certainly not providing the full suite of sensors etc. you see in Storview, but not too bad. What makes it sufficient as I see it, is the SES/SES2 monitoring capabilies that come with the applicable SAS RAID agent built in to DSS (eg. LSI MegaRaid module for us), that monitors SAS enclosures (via SES), & can notify if enclosure (local for the MC2, or/and externally connected SAS JOBODs etc) sensors (fan speed, PSU etc.) go critical etc. Just FYI, we see better SAS/SES info from a Promise J-series SAS JBOD connected to the MC2 than from the MC2 itself!

Re. detailed RAID information, if required, we use RWC to remotely connect to the MC2, but there is also a built-in MegaRAID GUI now, that has much of the RWC console's functionality, plus the full command-line version is available from the DSS console (local or remote, but only if you have enbled it 1st!).

Finally you have the MC2's BMC that can issue smtp/snmp alerts for major hardware-level events.
    Oh, and there's some good generic snmp MIBs exported by DSS and I thinik the LSI MegaRaid agent too, though this can get all a bit technical & complicated.
    Hope this helps.

Just FYI for MC2 enclosure FW updates, we use a simple SATA Hdd loaded with 2003 server & all applns for testing & updates (eg. RWC, Storeview, Intel ASC, Seagate Seatools, IOmeter. Just pop the lid & plug it in & boot. Alternatively you could boot off a USB Hdd - easier when the unit is in a rack with something directly above it!

Also, I dont think there will be another enclosure FW update after current (v1.0.4-60), as it's been out for a while now, & the MC2 is slated for replacement by the SSR2612/Timber Creek (S5520UR or S5520HC based) in Q4. Cheers.