Visit Open-E website

Thread: Accessing data on hdd connected to other linux server

Question Accessing data on hdd connected to other linux server

Hi,

I've connected one hdd from an open-e server directly to an other linux server. I could not access the data on it. On the hdd, there was an lvm volume with xfs file system on it, which I mounted to /media/test on the linux server. I could see the shares/directories I formerley created on open-e, but I could not see any files/data in them. How can the files be accessed?

Thanks for any hints in advance!

Der Nasenmann

I'v forgot to mention, the disk was not member of a RAID array before or something like that. It was a hdd which was configured as a Pass-Through Disk on an Areca RAID controller.

Was that disk a single drive that you created a Unit from like VG01. If so just plug that back into the system then copy the data to the other system. That would be the fastest way.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Yes, it was just a single disk with a logical volume on it.

I'm sure your solution will work, but what I wanted to know is, how I can access the data when no Open-E system is available. For example, I was replacing the raid controller in my system, and the system was not available for a certain time. I thought, because Open-E is Linux based, it would be possible to connect the disk to an other Linux box and mount the volume. But it seems that this does not work. Why?

Der Nasenmann

We are Linux based and you can access your data from another Linux or Knoppix though there is some knowledge that you will have to have on the LVM and Linux we only provide the information below for knoppix. This is providing your linux system has all the RAID HW and or same drive as it was with DSS.

To access the share volume:
    -----------------------------------
    After Knoppix system startup 'XFS Repair tool' is launched.
    You must answer "NO" for the prompt to repair.

Then enter commands:
    mkdir /mnt/nas_lv
    mount -t xfs /dev/nas_vg/nas_lv /mnt/nas_lv

Now, you can browse the volume:
    -----------------------------------
    mc /mnt/nas_lv
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hey nasenmann72

I have tested Open-e with a single disk and open-e was able to see it and use it.

The data that you are trying to access, what OS did you use to put the data on to it?

Open-E will want to format the disk before you can use it