Visit Open-E website

Thread: Vmalloc problem wihle initializing File-IO

Default Vmalloc problem wihle initializing File-IO

Hi!

This is given: two identical systems with 4 CPU-Heads (2core? 4core? don't know yet, but enough), 16 GB of RAM (should be enough) and each with ca netto 6.7 TB of 15krpm-SATA RAID

Both systems have DSS 5.0up60.7102.3511 32bit

On each system, I want to create two iSCSI volumes for use with VMware ESX. Each volume with 3328 GB. Then using replication and iSCSI failover.... but I am stopped wihle creating the volumes...

On the first system, I succeeded without any problem.

On the second system, I could create one volume successfully. But when I try to create the second one, I get an error message, that the Vmalloc was too low, and therefore the replication flag couldn't be enabled. And, right, it isn't enabled. Bad thing, ESX recommends to use File-I/O, and with File-I/O, I can't enable the replication flag subsequently, it must be set when initialization starts.

This behaviour is reproducable: delete the volume, create it again: same error message, no replication flag.

Bad thing: the Vmalloc value on both systems is 348, e.g. identical. I set the value to the highest possible number, but no effect.

Any idea how to debug this? Another case when missing a linux console...

Regards,

Robert

Does this happen when you create a small FILE IO w/ init. lets say 10GB? Also update to 3518 before you start the Auto Failover. Send in the logs to support@open-e.com maybe something else could be happening that engineers can find out. Show the screen shot as well.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    Does this happen when you create a small FILE IO w/ init. lets say 10GB? Also update to 3518 before you start the Auto Failover. Send in the logs to support@open-e.com maybe something else could be happening that engineers can find out. Show the screen shot as well.
    No, 10 GB succeed. But, as I said, with an identical system, 3328 GB succeeded as well before.

As I found out now, replication flag can be enabled on File-I/O volumes after creation. The GUI is misleading a bit: when I choose 'modify lv...' , the replication-checkbox is grayed, but can be activated by deselecting the default initializing checkbox. I'll try to create the volume without replication, and add the replication thereafter.

What about Auto failover and new release? These systems are yet working with some other volumes. I would not be great to disconnect and reboot...

Best,

Robert

As I found out now, replication flag can be enabled on File-I/O volumes after creation. The GUI is misleading a bit: when I choose 'modify lv...' , the replication-checkbox is grayed, but can be activated by deselecting the default initializing checkbox. I'll try to create the volume without replication, and add the replication thereafter.
    No effect. When trying to enable the replication flag:

2009/07/30 11:25:49 Unable to initialize volume replication for the following logical volume: lvdaten15k00. Please increase the Vmalloc size in console tools: CTRL-ALT-W --> Tuning options --> Vmalloc size

Robert

Default Reboot helped

After a reboot, I can set the replication flag now.

Unconvincingly, for a central backend component... :-( Mind that this system provided no operational service than one NFS-share before => no load on a system with many CPUs and cores and 16 GB of RAM.

Regards,

Robert