Visit Open-E website

Thread: Find current IOPS?

Default Find current IOPS?

I found the the Status -> Hardware -> Server Stats -> Filesystems and I am looking at the iostats for sda. It si showing sectors read/written per second. How do I translate that to raw disk utilization to see if my drives are right sized or not? And is this raw disk i/o?
    Thanks
    Derek

In order to read the raw disk speed you need to convert the KB to MB/S, each sector is 512 bytes, and 512 bytes equal 0.5 KB.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Default Rules of thumb?

Is there a good rule of thumb for # of drives for read/write throughput?

Check this post out as it has some good info regarding your question.

http://forum.open-e.com/showthread.php?t=1339
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Default I am doing ok then

I am using an Arc 1210 controller (256MB cache) with 4 1TB SATA drives in RAID 5. I have 5 MB/s peak doing both NAS and iSCSI. I was really trying to get my hands around the performance to make sure that the SAN is not the bottleneck. On IBM system i (as/400) there are disk tools to see cache hits and misses and disk % busy that gives a real good indication of how the disks are performing and how well things are being cached.

Thanks for the link as that alerted me to the disk scrubbing. Is "scheduled scrubbing" a feature that will be part of DSS v6?

There have been some talks with the engineers on this topic but no set date as to when to start it.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Lightbulb

Of course, you can schedule disk scrubbing in the Areca controller (if you upgrade the areca firmware to the latest one). Sure, the scheduling is sort of crude, but it will make sure that your data is regularly scrubbed.