Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonding with crossover cables

Default Bonding with crossover cables

Hi I've got 2 DSS machines with both 2 NICs dedicated for replication. Can anyone tell me if bonding these interfaces will work when the 2 nics are connected directly to the other DSS via a crossover cable without the use of a switch?

-Jochum

Quote Originally Posted by speak
    Hi I've got 2 DSS machines with both 2 NICs dedicated for replication. Can anyone tell me if bonding these interfaces will work when the 2 nics are connected directly to the other DSS via a crossover cable without the use of a switch?

-Jochum
    Yes, it should as long as your nics support MDI/MDI-X. We do this with newer SuperMicro and Dell servers without a problem.

Tom

Lightbulb

MDI/MDI-X support is part of the Gigabit ethernet standard, so it should work. In fact, standard procedure for our boxes is to use 2 bonded together crossover cables for replication.

Robotbeat, what bond type do you use in that case?
    We use 802.3ad when connected to switches (that support it), but this case is NIC-to-NIC, so maybe different? Cheers.

Lightbulb

We use 802.3ad with Nic-to-Nic, too.

OK thanks, we will try that now.

hey silicon

is the 802.3ad working with Nic-to-Nic ??

Hi symm, not had time to implement that yet, got my hands totally full of other issues at the moment with changing hardware and software versions.

Question

Hello,

I try to do this NIC-to-NIC bonding with 802.3ad bond too, but replication only use 1 port! What is wrong?
    regards,
    Lukas

descience.NET
    Dr. Lukas Pfeiffer
    A-1140 Wien
    Austria
    www.dotnethost.at

DSS v6 b4550 iSCSI autofailover with Windows 2008 R2 failover cluster (having still some issues with autofailover).

2 DSS: 3HE Supermicro X7DBE BIOS 2.1a, Areca ARC-1261ML FW 1.48, 8x WD RE3 1TB, 1x Intel PRO1000MT Dualport, 1x Intel PRO1000PT Dualport.

2 Windows Nodes: Intel SR1500 + Intel SR1560, Dual XEON E54xx, 32 GB RAM, 6 NICs. Windows Server 2008 R2.

802.3ad will give only redundancy and not more performance for a single connection. However, if you use 802.3ad with multiple hosts, you will probably gain some more performance, but for a single connection between two hosts, you'll never get a speed bump.

Cheers,
    budy
    There's no OS like OS X!