Visit Open-E website

Thread: Sofware Raid Issue

Default Sofware Raid Issue

Hi there, I created a software RAID using Open-E NAS Software RAID function. after few months of use one of the HDD failed. When we replaced the HDD and powered back the unit, the new HDD shows as new volume and old volume is not mounted. How to get back to original shape without loosing the data?. Repair volume function says no volume found.

What type of RAID was it? Also check the all cables to make sure they are connected. Are you able to add the drive into the RAID set from the Software RAID once seeing the drives again?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hi M, It was RAID 5. I checked again, One HDD shows as new volume, out of balance 3 HDD on the RAID set, another HDD shows as Failed. Now How do I add the HDD that shows as new volume to the old RAID set. I have not replaced the failed HDD just only because it's got data that needs to be recovered. so all the original HDD's are in the server nothing moved.

Originally it was total of 4x 250GB HDD on a Opne-E software RAID working for the past six months without any issue. All of a sudden one day it shows like I said in above thread. One HDD as new volume other HDD as failed. Pls explain a clear safe proceedure to bring back the RAID to get back the client data.

Can you send the log file from the GUI to support with the ticket # that you started already. Also provide a screen shot of the Software RAID screen so we can direct you and find out if there are other issues that we are not seeing. You should be able to add the new disk to the RAID 5 set. We need to see logs we can also remotely access your system to see what is going on, just provide a good time frame that we can access the system from the support ticket that you are working with now.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

did you replace the bad drive with the new drive? (raid 5 uses parity to replace data)

you see new volume because you have added replacement drive and not replaced the bad drive

will need to add the drive to the existing array (it should be an option in the pull down box)

adding the drive may take a while as the array will need to be rebuilt.

after that you should be fine