Visit Open-E website
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The feature request thread!!!

Thread has average rating 5.00 / 5.00 based on 2 votes.
Thread has been visited 43251 times.

Quote Originally Posted by enealDC
    My advice - use block IO OR don't init file/io volumes.
    The initialization process simply uses dd to write zeros out the blocks.

I've never gotten an answer from Open-E on what will happen if you don't init the volume.
    We are starting to switch to Block I/O because we want to do synchronous replication with AutoFailover and it only supports Block I/O.

For some reason my initial tests indicated File I/O had better performace, but further testing shows not much difference with Block I/O. This is in a Hyper-V enviroment. Not sure how VMware users are going to be able to do Synchronous Replication since Open-E recommends using File I/O when using this in a VMware environment.

I think iSCSI autofailover will work with file i/o too ... !?

>> http://forum.open-e.com/showpost.php...4&postcount=90 (Q)
    >> http://forum.open-e.com/showpost.php...5&postcount=91 (A)
    regards,
    Lukas

descience.NET
    Dr. Lukas Pfeiffer
    A-1140 Wien
    Austria
    www.dotnethost.at

DSS v6 b4550 iSCSI autofailover with Windows 2008 R2 failover cluster (having still some issues with autofailover).

2 DSS: 3HE Supermicro X7DBE BIOS 2.1a, Areca ARC-1261ML FW 1.48, 8x WD RE3 1TB, 1x Intel PRO1000MT Dualport, 1x Intel PRO1000PT Dualport.

2 Windows Nodes: Intel SR1500 + Intel SR1560, Dual XEON E54xx, 32 GB RAM, 6 NICs. Windows Server 2008 R2.

Default Increase support hours @ germany office

Basically to get phone support from Australia involved calling Germany at night which sometimes is apropicate.

But idealy I would like to see the hours for the support engineers increased/or open a Oceanic Support office. I know after speaking to various distributors of Open-E in Australia this is currently a major challenge and impacts local sales.

-Adam

Default Software RAID10

For those of us that are too tight to buy a "real" hardware controller, but have bucket loads of spare hard disks around us :-)
    If it can go wrong, it generally will!

Default Single Instance Storage for all volume types

Single Instance Storage (SIS) / Deduplication is a becoming a significant issue/marketing point, due to the explosion of data storage/capacity requirements.

This is especially true as the adoption of server (and coming/now desktops) virtualization is now growing into middle/lower-middle tier businesses. If you have 20 virtualized Win2008 servers. Do you really need to use 20 times the disk space to store 20 copies of the same Windows EXEs/DLLs?

A number of SAN solutions offer this feature including; MS Storage Server, Falconstor/Nexxan, NetApp and EMC.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SeanLeyne
    Single Instance Storage (SIS) / Deduplication is a becoming a significant issue/marketing point, due to the explosion of data storage/capacity requirements.

This is especially true as the adoption of server (and coming/now desktops) virtualization is now growing into middle/lower-middle tier businesses. If you have 20 virtualized Win2008 servers. Do you really need to use 20 times the disk space to store 20 copies of the same Windows EXEs/DLLs?

A number of SAN solutions offer this feature including; MS Storage Server, Falconstor/Nexxan, NetApp and EMC.
    Hi there, This may or may not be useful to you, but DSS v6 already has some single instance storage support as we have a NAS share that we backup to using BackupAssist's "File Replication module". This works perfectly i.e. we backup our fileserver each day to this share and although the total amount of data is about 50GB, the software uses SIS to only store the changed files and "link" to all the rest.

http://www.backupassist.com/download...ication_WP.pdf

I have found no documented mention of SIS support for DSS v6, but it appears to work...

Cheers

AS
    If it can go wrong, it generally will!

Quote Originally Posted by techfreakz
    Hi there, This may or may not be useful to you, but DSS v6 already has some single instance storage support as we have a NAS share that we backup to using BackupAssist's "File Replication module". This works perfectly i.e. we backup our fileserver each day to this share and although the total amount of data is about 50GB, the software uses SIS to only store the changed files and "link" to all the rest....
    In this case it is BackupAssist has implemented SIS inside their application. VMWare has SIS implemented in their VDR v1.1 add-ons, which we are using.

I was referring to SIS implemented within the storage system itself, so that any data could be SIS'd to reduce the real disk footprint.

Another feature request:

root shell.

Was anounced already for V5 in Q1/2009.

Regards.

Default Another nice feature would be

transparent file compression in the NAS.

The processor is hardly working and on-the-fly compression and CRC checks would enable some really tight file stacking...

G

Default always active vIP

I want to have an active vIP with only one running node in DSS iSCSI autofailover. That means I can start/start each node and the failover service without losing connection to virtual IP ... would be very useful for ever on cluster systems !
    regards,
    Lukas

descience.NET
    Dr. Lukas Pfeiffer
    A-1140 Wien
    Austria
    www.dotnethost.at

DSS v6 b4550 iSCSI autofailover with Windows 2008 R2 failover cluster (having still some issues with autofailover).

2 DSS: 3HE Supermicro X7DBE BIOS 2.1a, Areca ARC-1261ML FW 1.48, 8x WD RE3 1TB, 1x Intel PRO1000MT Dualport, 1x Intel PRO1000PT Dualport.

2 Windows Nodes: Intel SR1500 + Intel SR1560, Dual XEON E54xx, 32 GB RAM, 6 NICs. Windows Server 2008 R2.