Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The feature request thread!!!

Thread has average rating 5.00 / 5.00 based on 2 votes.
Thread has been visited 43262 times.

Lightbulb The feature request thread!!!

Hello!

This is the feature request thread. Let me start off with some doozies:

Snapshot merging so you can make an active snapshot into a regular, linear logical volume (FC, iscsi, or NAS). This is how it ought to work already. Would make snapshots twice as useful. There's a relatively usable BETA patch of this for LVM2 already. Read more here: http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/LVM_Snapshot_Merging

NAS data deduplication: here's a free, open-source project that works on linux here: http://www.lessfs.com/wordpress/ But probably nothing will come of this project. Will probably have to wait until btrfs or tux3fs add deduplication. Also, ZFS will add support for deduplication, so maybe you could use ZFS in userland via FUSE? Sounds too cludgy to me.

block-volume deduplication (i.e. iscsi or fibre channel volumes): can be implemented on top of "lessfs" or btrfs in the future, see above.

NAS autofailover: I know this is already in the pipeline.

PLEASE add your own suggestions! And comment on features you'd like to see.

Lightbulb

Another feature request (in response to call I just had with a customer of ours):
    the ability to lower the I/O priority for initializing a file i/o volume. Or, cancel the initialization.

Use your own SSL certificate instead of the self generated.
    Ability to import certificates from root/subordinate CA's

Han.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotbeat
    Hello!

This is the feature request thread.

PLEASE add your own suggestions! And comment on features you'd like to see.

ability to do (a)sync replication from 1 to many, however this may be difficult due to the use of drbd.

example:

mirror a volume locally for local failover (nas or iscsi), and than mirror that volume to a remote location for disaster recovery purposes. Datacore i$ pretty good at thi$ today.

thin provisioning for iscsi and nas volumes.

dedupe, all storage vendors are racing to get this feature added to their product if it doesn't exist today.

nas failover as mentioned above.

I'd like to see a clustering approach like Equallogic and lefthand, and yes, my customers are willing to pay for it so I'm willing to pay for it.

tom

Default Backup browser

I'm very impressed with the built in backup features!

How about a backup browser that allows you to catalog the backups between two dates then display the backed up shares/folders/files in a tree object, much like the object used to set ACLs and permissions on files elsewhere in Open-e.

Aditionally, incrementally backed up files since the last full backup could be highlighted in a different colour.

Best regards

AS
    If it can go wrong, it generally will!

Also the ability to override the backup type, when specifying the schedule e.g. run incremental Mon-Friday, but run as a full backup on Sunday.

Question Remote console (SSH) allowed address range

Also, being able to set an address range of "allowed IP's" rather than single IP's would be useful (e.g. 192.168.1.0/24).

Cheers

AS

Default The feature request thread!!!

Ability to bind the webinterface to a NIC other than the NAS traffic NIC. For example iSCSI traffic is handled by a NIC connected to a storage LAN while management is handled by a NIC connected to the normal LAN.

Han.

Default energy saving options

I would like to have power saving options like windows 2008 R2 server has (CPU throttling, Core parking, ...).
    regards,
    Lukas

descience.NET
    Dr. Lukas Pfeiffer
    A-1140 Wien
    Austria
    www.dotnethost.at

DSS v6 b4550 iSCSI autofailover with Windows 2008 R2 failover cluster (having still some issues with autofailover).

2 DSS: 3HE Supermicro X7DBE BIOS 2.1a, Areca ARC-1261ML FW 1.48, 8x WD RE3 1TB, 1x Intel PRO1000MT Dualport, 1x Intel PRO1000PT Dualport.

2 Windows Nodes: Intel SR1500 + Intel SR1560, Dual XEON E54xx, 32 GB RAM, 6 NICs. Windows Server 2008 R2.