Visit Open-E website

Thread: How to run hdparm

Default How to run hdparm

Could somebody tell how to run hdparm to test hd speed?
    How could i get access to the console?

thx

actually I was about to post something about "how do I know the maximum bandwidth & IOPS of my open-e server?"....

then I saw this.......

you can check the logs
    it is in test.log

symm, are you saying test.log contains the maximum bandwidth & IOPS being used or its maximum bandwidth & IOPS Open-E can provide?

I was told that those are the stats at the time you click on download logs

so some of the results may vary depending on the amount of activity going on at that time.

If you want the test for maximum bandwidth try using some benchmask software to test with.

I have seen results vary due to hardware

G'day,

Quote Originally Posted by chkohlruss
    Could somebody tell how to run hdparm to test hd speed?
    How could i get access to the console?

thx
    As Symm mentions, if you go to the "Hardware" tab in the GUI and select "Status" and then download the logs, the resulting compressed .rar(Which will take a minute to create) will contain a "tests.log", which will have a hdaparm entry (note open it in Wordpad not Notepad if you are using Windows, or it won't format correctly).
    The HDParm entries can be a bit confusing because it will test all "Disk" devices, so it will also list USB disks etc, so depending on your config it will have a mix of sda/hda.

Open-E if you read this, it would be really nice to add the results of the Tests.log directly to the gui...... ie have a "test" button that initiated it....

Anyway back to your question.
    As far as I know there is no simple way to get a true "command prompt/console etc", which is what I think you are looking for? ie so you can manually run commands like hdparm?

RE The IOPs question, the tests.log will not show you IOPs, to obtain that I think you will need to run a third party Disk/NAS tester.

Rgds Ben