Visit Open-E website

Thread: Best settings for Virtualization

Default Best settings for Virtualization

Hi all

I would like to check, which setting I should use in DSS v6 for Hyper-V R2. I read an article which suggest the "File I/O" for VMware, I will use this also for Hyper-V. Is this correct?

Are there other things to configure?

Thanks
    Norbert

I run Hyper-V R1 and I have always used Block I/O and have had no issues with it. I haven't tried File I/O so who knows, if you try it and it runs better let me know!

File I/O seems to be NAS feature. Given the advanced technologies nowadays, file I/O may yields better performance. It depends on your VMs, and how many VMs are stressing the iSCSI SAN at the same time......

I thought File I/O took advantage of the ram on the system motherboard as well as the mnemory on the controller for caching and Block I/O only took advantage of the memory on the controller. Is that correct or am I just confused

webguyz, is it an open-e design or a general specifications for iSCSI SAN?

When you mention RAM on system motherboard, do you mean the Open-E system? Or the iSCSI initiator system?

I have a 2 unit of 48GB RAM DP Nehalem to try out soon.....will report the finding here

Got that info from lurking around here.

FIle I/O uses ram on the motherboard of the Open-e system for caching in addition to the ram on the disk controller in the Open-e box. Block I/O just uses the ram on the disk controller.

Wanted to wait until DSS V6 before deploying. Waiting on more cache for my areca and then I'll be able to do some real world tests.

I think I am ready to try out the difference between both now. Will update you guys the difference. I think the size of the VMs does matter too.....

Interesting, file I/O for iSCSC SAN How cool is it to host open-E on a DP Nehalem with min 72GB RAM or up to 144GB RAM?