Visit Open-E website

Thread: Disk quotas on NFS shares (rquotad?)

Question Disk quotas on NFS shares (rquotad?)

Is this feature supported in Open-E DSS?

Yes we have this, you can assign a quota (a limit) on the amount of space a user is allowed to allocate on the shares to which they have access.

To remove any limitations for a user, you need to set their quota to 0.

Note
    Max quota value per user/group is 2TB. All greater values will be limited to 2TB.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hi Todd, thanks for your reply, but I'm not sure this can solve my problem: when I create and mount an NFS share on a linux cluster, I don't create any user on the DSS interface, I don't need it ... until now. I create users on the first node of the cluster and then rsync /etc/passwd and /etc/groups on the remaining nodes of the cluster.
    Is there a way to use quotas on the NFS storage with this setup?

We only have it for the Users and Groups so that the space max is 2TB only. So the Quota controls the users with large disk requirements by assigning a dedicated share or by restricting their individual usage through individual user quotas or to assign a quota to a group to which the user belongs.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Default Did you succeed to get any answer

Lorenzo, did you succeed to get any answer? Is there any possibility to set up quotas remotely, from client node?

And may be you know, is there any possibility to get per user disk usage like you can get it using rquotas?

Thanks, Timur

Hi Todd, thanks for your reply, but I'm not sure this can solve my problem: when I create and mount an NFS share on a linux cluster, I don't create any user on the DSS interface, I don't need it ... until now. I create users on the first node of the cluster and then rsync /etc/passwd and /etc/groups on the remaining nodes of the cluster. Is there a way to use quotas on the NFS storage with this setup?Lorenzo, did you succeed to get any answer? Is there any possibility to set up quotas remotely, from client node?And may be you know, is there any possibility to get per user disk usage like you can get it using rquotas?

Currently we dont have the possibility to set up quotas remotely.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hi Administrator Todd,

"Currently" let's me hope that this feature is planned.

Since there are almost two years gone now since your answer: What's the state of implementing rquotad into open-e DSS systems?

I really think this is a required feature in today's times where many systems require remotely mounted disk space and enforce quota restrictions.

Me, for example, is running an ispconfig system which does manage quota, but it doesn't help if the underlying NFS storage software doesn't support it.

Regards,
    Frank