Visit Open-E website

Thread: Problems with accessing via 2008 R2

Default Problems with accessing via 2008 R2

Have working DSS V6 and it works great with 2008 Standard Hyper-V guest. I installed 2008 R2 on a server to start testing and it will not initialize a volume I have selected as a target. I can connect, but when I try to initialize it just seems to lock up. Tried another cable and NIC in my test system (Broadcom Gigabit) which is the same as I use in my standard 2008 Hyper-V systems, but no such luck.

Has anyone installed R2 and able to successfully connect to DSS V6 and initialize a volume? I'm running out of things to try on my end. Was working so well with non R2 I was suprised that I've spent days on this to no avail.

Thanks!

Hello,

yes, I run Windows 2008 Server R2 without this kind of issues. Maybe a problem with your NIC, R2 has other drivers than "R1" (like Windows 7 / Vista)?? Check another NIC (Intel ...) or a new R2 driver from Broadcom. Or do you use the onboard NIC driver from Windows?

You should also post your question on MS TechNet board: >> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/.../windowsserver

It seems not to be a specific DSS/open-e problem ...

BTW: It's great that more and more Windows 2008/Hyper-V users are coming to open-e - if there are more requests, open-e should put there focus more on MS community's needs!
    regards,
    Lukas

descience.NET
    Dr. Lukas Pfeiffer
    A-1140 Wien
    Austria
    www.dotnethost.at

DSS v6 b4550 iSCSI autofailover with Windows 2008 R2 failover cluster (having still some issues with autofailover).

2 DSS: 3HE Supermicro X7DBE BIOS 2.1a, Areca ARC-1261ML FW 1.48, 8x WD RE3 1TB, 1x Intel PRO1000MT Dualport, 1x Intel PRO1000PT Dualport.

2 Windows Nodes: Intel SR1500 + Intel SR1560, Dual XEON E54xx, 32 GB RAM, 6 NICs. Windows Server 2008 R2.

I've been using Broadcom cards in all our servers and the same model works fine with non-R2 2008 iscsi. Have the latest drivers and installed a known working nic,cable. Very wierd.

Will have to get another model and see if it works.

Thanks

Doah! When I was looking for the latest Broadcom drivers my eyes stopped at the 2008 x64 drivers and did not see the 2008 R2 x64 drivers right below that one.

Acutally, the problem turned out I was trying to access a target with 2 different initiators on 2 servers. All kinds of strangeness on the server occurs when this happens. After I realized my mistake and fixed by using more descriptive target names, its now working correctly. Getting 230 mbps during file copies and loving it.

I would have thought Windows would have generated an error but I guess it has no idea if that target is running some kind of software to allow access from multiple initiators.