Visit Open-E website

Thread: Question for those with Hyper-V environments

Default Question for those with Hyper-V environments

Going thru testing of my DSS and trying to find the best strategy for deploying guests. I have setup guests using ISCSI passthru and that seems fairly fast, but I can see it becoming a large pain in the butt when you have a large number of guests on a server and trying to keep track of the passthru disks you setup as there is no way to add comments or name them.

The other possiblity is to just create a huge disk space on the DSS and have a single connection to the DSS and put all the guest vhd's on that single disk, but I assume the extra overhead might slow down the performance of the VHD's, but maybe I'm wrong.

Was wondering what others are doing out there. Trying to come up with best practices before I put this in service.

Thanks!

Hello,

we are going to try Hyper-V on a Windows 2008 R2 cluster with CSV (cluster shared volume). There are all VHDs on a single LUN. But we have no experience with performance at the moment ...
    regards,
    Lukas

descience.NET
    Dr. Lukas Pfeiffer
    A-1140 Wien
    Austria
    www.dotnethost.at

DSS v6 b4550 iSCSI autofailover with Windows 2008 R2 failover cluster (having still some issues with autofailover).

2 DSS: 3HE Supermicro X7DBE BIOS 2.1a, Areca ARC-1261ML FW 1.48, 8x WD RE3 1TB, 1x Intel PRO1000MT Dualport, 1x Intel PRO1000PT Dualport.

2 Windows Nodes: Intel SR1500 + Intel SR1560, Dual XEON E54xx, 32 GB RAM, 6 NICs. Windows Server 2008 R2.