Visit Open-E website

Thread: open-e NFS server implementation

Thread has average rating 5.00 / 5.00 based on 4 votes.
Thread has been visited 16983 times.

Default open-e NFS server implementation

In open-e DSS, is the NFS server functionality provided by the Linux kernel nfsd?

Yes, when enabeling the service in the GUI from NAS Settings.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    Yes, when enabeling the service in the GUI from NAS Settings.
    Todd, thanks for your reply. However, my question was a bit different.

Let me rephrase it:

Is the open-e NFS server the "stock" NFS server that is part of the Linux kernel?

*OR* has open-e implemented it's own NFS server (i.e not part of the Linux kernel)?

Quote Originally Posted by knura
    Is the open-e NFS server the "stock" NFS server that is part of the Linux kernel?

*OR* has open-e implemented it's own NFS server (i.e not part of the Linux kernel)?
    Not being a linux guy, I need to ask the question... what would be the difference/why does it matter?

It's part of the kernel we have support for NFS version 3 and 4 protocol.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

This is very easy to find out with downloading the Trial version of DSS V6 or DSS Lite as you can see what kernel version we are using also from the logs - we are using the NFS that is part of the Linux kernel.

If you dont mind could you explain why to help others understand the difference.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

This is very easy to find out with downloading the Trial version of DSS V6 or DSS Lite as you can see what kernel version we are using also from the logs - we are using the NFS that is part of the Linux kernel.

If you dont mind could you explain why to help others understand the difference.
    I am considering using open-e to replace the stock Linux kernel (2.6.27 - openSUSE 11.1) with NFS v3 on a client's file server with two arrays 6TB and 4TB. At present we need to reboot the server every other day since the NFS clients experience hangs. Just restarting the NFS server daemon does not help.

I hope this clarifies the purpose of my query.

There could be some file corruption, did you try a file system repair on the NFS server?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

There could be some file corruption, did you try a file system repair on the NFS server?
    Filesystem corruption is a possibility; random hardware glitch was also a possibility.

Through the hardware vendor, the firmware on the RAID, FibreChannel card, and the motherboard have been updated. The RAID arrays were wiped and re-created. SMARTCTL did report errors on the boot disc which has been replaced. The hardware has been re-certified.

I am going to start afresh with a fresh OS install and a fresh filesystems on the RAID arrays.

I posted my query here to clarify my understanding of the open-e product. Thanks very much for your candid replies.

I will download the "lite" version, install it in a VM and get a better understanding of it's functionality and working.

Thanks again,
    knura