Visit Open-E website

Thread: Format times?

Question Format times?

Greetings,

I've created a volume group thats about 14TB, since then it's been formatting for about 36 hours now. Any idea how much longer this is going to take?

Cheers,
    Jon

Jon,

36h is a pretty long time... guess there will be more details needed:

- What's below the VG? (Software RAID, hardware RAID?
    - Which controllers, which settings (ie what RAID level) are you using, was the RAID set fully initialized when you created the VG?
    - what disks are you using?
    - how's the load of your system, what do the io statistics (graphs provided by DSS) show?

Regards,
    Jens

Hi Jens,

Thanks for your reply;

- What's below the VG? (Software RAID, hardware RAID?
    - Which controllers, which settings (ie what RAID level) are you using, was the RAID set fully initialized when you created the VG?
    - what disks are you using?
    - how's the load of your system, what do the io statistics (graphs provided by DSS) show?

Hardware raid - LSI Megaraid raid 6, full initialisation, 16 x 1TB SATA disks... couldn't find any dss i/o graphs.

Cheers,
    Jon

Jon,

creating the VG should be immediate, creating and initializing a logical volume should take (considerably) less time than initializing the RAID - just as a rule of thumb.

The server statistics are way down on the "Stauts" - "hardware" page - klick the "apply" button to open a new window/tab where you can select the various graphical statistics. Unlike what's in the docs I have a page for disk i/o there (I currently have no access to a live DDS to give the exact details).

To take a completely different approach: How exactely are you seeing that it is still formatting? How did you start it? Am I right that you created and completely initialized the hardware RAID, then went into DSS to create a volume group consisting of a single partition (the RAID set you created earlier on), and then created a logical volume of 14TB and selected to initialize the volume? When I do this, the logical volume is added to the list of available volumes and reports the initialization progress in percent... is that what you see, too?

Do your disks indicate activity?

With regards,
    Jens

Hi Jens,

Doesn't look like there's any disk activity.
    To create my volume group I first built and initialised my raid, then I went to config. -> volume manager -> Vol. Group, I selected the unit that had shown up and clicked new volume group.
    I've not been into the volume group to set up size etc yet.
    here's a screenshot

http://www.jon-moore.co.uk/wp-conten...11/screen1.JPG

Cheers,
    Jon

Hi Jon,

I'm out - I never even noticed such a status there! Maybe the DSS is trying to create a software RAID? Nevertheless, not having major disk activity is definitely a sign of a problem here - have you contacted open-e support yet? If not, you should do so.

Regards,
    Jens

Hi jon
    did you try refreshing your web browser ?
    did you try clicking on VG00

hi symm,

Tried all that, in the end I rebuit my hardware raid and this time when I created the vg it was instant.

Cheers all,
    Jon