Visit Open-E website

Thread: Create FC Target and connect to it

Default Create FC Target and connect to it

Hey!

I got a problem with my FC Targets and DSSv6. Im using following config:

DSS 6.0up11.8101.3802 64bit (i know there's a newer one)
    Qlogic 2562 8Gbit Dualport for the Storage and Server
    What i want:
    I just want to get access to the FC target with a Win2k8 64bit RC2 Server.

- Set the Fiber channel to "Target".
    - I created a S/W raid - than the volume group - and the FC Target. (e.g. 50GB)
    - Just using the default group

Well, unfortunately im new in that kind of business, but what do i have to do, to connect to the defined target? I got no problems with iscsi targets... but FC.. wtf ^^

So i installed the SAN Surfer FC HBA Manager on the Win2k8 server to connect to the targets. Is this the right way?
    May there any problems with my 8Gbit qlogic cards?

Maybe anyone could help or explain that to me how to handle that, it would help me a lot!
    thx 4 any info!

Default no luck

I couldn't get my 8Gb Qlogic HBA working either.

alright, thx for the answer.
    I'll give it a try, with a 4Gbit Qlogic card. (HBA)

Quote Originally Posted by r3vo
    Hey!

I got a problem with my FC Targets and DSSv6. Im using following config:
    [...]
    Well, unfortunately im new in that kind of business, but what do i have to do, to connect to the defined target? I got no problems with iscsi targets... but FC.. wtf ^^

So i installed the SAN Surfer FC HBA Manager on the Win2k8 server to connect to the targets. Is this the right way?
    May there any problems with my 8Gbit qlogic cards?

Maybe anyone could help or explain that to me how to handle that, it would help me a lot!
    thx 4 any info!
    r3vo,

aside the already mentioned difficulties that could arise from using the 256x card, here's some general info on how the puzzle pieces are to be put together:

• The "groups" in FC management restrict access to the FC volumes. I typically create a group per FC initiator (ie your Windows server), create an entry for the initiator's WWPN in the WWPN alias list and add that alias to the FC group. That way, only that specific initiator will see the "disks".
    • Then I add the wanted LV volumes to the corresponding FC group

I typically have nothing else to do on the initiator side... I have Linux boxes instead of Windows, but expect both to work similar: The LVs/"disk" will be auto-detected by the initiator's FC driver.

One word of warning, though: Depending on the initiator implementation and configuration, changing the security settings of the DSS FC group (adding/deleting WWPN aliases) my hang your initiators. I've decided to do such things only when no initiators are connected to the DSS. So you better test before doing such changes in production

With regards,
    Jens

yeah that worked.
    Indeed its a little bit "tricky". My HBA initiator on the server side do not detect the drives/devices in default group, until i create a new group with WWPN Alias.
    Only after that procedure im able to put some FC Targets in default group and connect to them.
    Maybe im doing something wrong with the HBA configuration on the server side. I'll have to figure out...

But as you said, the best solution is to disconnect the cables from the server, to do some restarts caused by a new configuration.

thx 4 help!