Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiber Channel r/w speed results?

Default Fiber Channel r/w speed results?

Hi there,
    I made some tests with my DSSv6 Storage and FC and Win2k8 Server.(64bit)
    The storage uses Qlogic 2462 (4Gbit) and the Server Qlogic 2562 (in 4gbit mode).
    Server got about 8GB ram, x8dth board etc., Raid5ee with 4 HDD’s etc.

After I created the targets and successfully connected to the server and on these targets, I tried to do some tests with IO-Meter. (100% sequential, 10MB files, 100% read or write)

I think the performance is not the best?:

In read mode I got about ~240 Mb/s
    In write mode the first second I got about 380 Mb/s, but after the first second the speed goes down very fast to 50-80 Mb/s and below.

Any idea why the write speed is just lower than iscsi?
    Maybe a configuration problem of my Qlogic card in the server?

I forgot that the storage got 8GB Ram, 2 H/W Raid Controllers with 2 HDD's on each controller in a Raid1. These 2 controllers are mirrored by S/W Raid1 in DSSv6.

Lightbulb

My bet is that you are killing performance with the software raid 1. Also, Fibre Channel is set up to only use "File I/O" volumes, not Block I/O volumes like are available as an option for iSCSI, which is why you initially get a high throughput for writing and then it drops down to really low once the mainboard cache is empty. Block I/O is a more direct way of accessing the storage, but I believe it only works with iSCSI.

Quote Originally Posted by r3vo
    Hi there,
    I made some tests with my DSSv6 Storage and FC and Win2k8 Server.(64bit)
    The storage uses Qlogic 2462 (4Gbit) and the Server Qlogic 2562 (in 4gbit mode).
    Server got about 8GB ram, x8dth board etc., Raid5ee with 4 HDD’s etc.

After I created the targets and successfully connected to the server and on these targets, I tried to do some tests with IO-Meter. (100% sequential, 10MB files, 100% read or write)

I think the performance is not the best?:

In read mode I got about ~240 Mb/s
    In write mode the first second I got about 380 Mb/s, but after the first second the speed goes down very fast to 50-80 Mb/s and below.

Any idea why the write speed is just lower than iscsi?
    Maybe a configuration problem of my Qlogic card in the server?
    I have excatly the same problem.
    My configuration
    Supermicro X8sax mainboard
    intel xeon 5504 processor
    2 gb ram
    supermicro 24 bay chasi with 16 seagate 1 tb sas disks(7200 rpm) Raid5
    qlogic 2562 8gb fibre card
    connected to macpro with atto 82en 8 gb fibre card.
    Write starts 350 mb/s after seconds goes down 30 mb/s.
    Reading about 400 mb/s.

well, I couldn't resolve the problem in the past. Do you have the same problems if you connect with 4gbit instead of 8gbit?
    Which release do you have installed?
    ATM i got a stable connection with 4Gbit, without any performance loss.

@R3vo
    Thanks for the answer.
    I am using dss V6 latest version.
    My connection between the fc cards adjusted auto. i will try with 4 gb then write here the result.

Quote Originally Posted by delk
    @R3vo
    Thanks for the answer.
    I am using dss V6 latest version.
    My connection between the fc cards adjusted auto. i will try with 4 gb then write here the result.
    I tried with 4gb on both sides but no difference. Target dssv6 uses qle2562 and initiator macpro uses atto fc en82. At target side i have only 2 gb ram. can it be the reason of poor performance. Or atto and qlogic does not like each other? I tried several settings on fc cards. if i choose only Point to point connection no connection (only loop works) frame size doesnt make any difference (512-1024-2048) What can i do more without replacing atto card with another qlogic2562.

Well, in the past i can't resolve the problem. I installed my Server2008 and the DSSv6 new due to testing reasons.
    ATM I got no connection problems. I dont think its caused by the memory. I got 8GB RAM installed and had the same problem like you.
    I am working now with two 2562. In the past i was using an 2562 and 2462 Controller. I cant say if two different cards cause the problem.

I think you already have the latest drivers installed on your MAC Pro?

i updated atto fc en82 driver, bios, manager etc.. Everything is uptated. On open-e side qle2562 bios was 2.02 then updated it too 2.10. I started to believe that atto and qlogic cards does not like each other. Even in your sample two different qlogic cards (2562-2462) could not work together...

Finally we did it. Problem was raid5. We destroy raid and replaced by raid50. Now reading is 700 mb/s. Writing is arround 280 mb/s. Also if the client macpro has macos 10.5.7 everthing is ok with 700 mb/s reading and 280 mb/s writing. When we update macpro to 10.6.2 (snow leopard) reading is 300 mb/s writing is 300 mb/s without any problem.
    Thanks for your help @r3Vo.
    Regards..