Visit Open-E website

Thread: Snapshot Overflow on replication

Default Snapshot Overflow on replication

I created some new shares and copies about a TB of data into each one. Now replicating to another server. Suddenly today my 20GB snapshots started filling up and overflowing within a few minutes.This data is static yet the snapshots are overflowing? Any ideas? I've done this before with no problems.

You might have to increase the snapshot volume or do you have more then one snapshot scheduled at the same time. Any events in the message displaying alerts?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Here's the error. At the time there were no other snapshots in use. I do have multiple snapshots each assigned a different task should I need more than one task at the same time.

2010/01/08 16:35:50 Replication_mgr:Synchronization to 192.168.0.202 failed. Error 87 : Snapshot overflow error. Partial transfer due to error.

I watched the snapshot usage go up steadily to 100%. Thing is no new data is being written to the source share at all. In fact it isn't even available as a share yet so I don't get why the snapshot would be filling up. I've done this exact thing when moving data from an old server to my DSS at least 5 times before and snapshot usage never went about a couple percent when replicating. Same size share and same size snapshot.

For now I'll double the snapshot size to 40GB and run it again.

This error is usually returned directly from RSYNC - it could be that this situation means
    that access to local disk is gone or something other but if you can add additional space to the snapshot then run it again, 20GB is very small and I usually like to have a min. of 40GB.

If that does not work you might want to submit a support ticket with the logs.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube