Visit Open-E website

Thread: FC Target or Initiator Mode

Default FC Target or Initiator Mode

Hi - i know this is a dumb question but i have just setup and opene system today using qlogic hba's- cant remember the model but is on the hcl. I have configured the zones correctly on the switch and created my fc alias and setup the fc groups etc. Although my IBm hs20 blades cannot see a LUN. i plan on using boot from san.

So that brings me to the question i have my FC setup as initator mode. IS this correct? what is the difference?

Im assuming that you are using DSS as to serve the disks. In this case, your DSS box has should be operating in target mode.
    I dont know off-hand if your HBA is supported..

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdy1066
    Hi - i know this is a dumb question but i have just setup and opene system today using qlogic hba's- cant remember the model but is on the hcl. I have configured the zones correctly on the switch and created my fc alias and setup the fc groups etc. Although my IBm hs20 blades cannot see a LUN. i plan on using boot from san.

So that brings me to the question i have my FC setup as initator mode. IS this correct? what is the difference?
    Sawdy,

as enealDC has already said, you need to configure your HBA for target mode if you want the DSS to act as a "FC server".

In FC terms, "iniitiator" is the client and "target" is the server for FC resources. As you DSS is the "server", its HBA has to be in target mode.

Regards,
    Jens