Visit Open-E website

Thread: automaticly monitor raid health

Default automaticly monitor raid health

What is the suggested way to actively monitor/check the hardware raids status on DSS V6?

We use Nagios to monitor our systems, but i cant seem to make it work with dss v6. How do other people check theyr raid arrays?

Check your raid card, most can be setup to send you an email if it detects a problem.

This IMO is the reason that the ARECA controllers outshine everyone else. The card effectively has Lights Out Mgmt in the form of both a modem connection or ethernet. All my DSS servers have ARECA cards in them for this very reason. The Adaptec cards will only send alerts if you are running their java application.
    I'll shamelessly give myself a plug here and say, I'm an Areca reseller so contact me for excellent prices if you are pairing it with DSS.

Oh I'll also mention this, the Areca firmware allows you to schedule routine (e.g weekly) scrubs of your volumes. Most people forget that this is very important for RAID5/6 volumes. We run weekly volume checks which normally run about 8 - 10 hours on our largest volumes.