Visit Open-E website

Thread: Update problem from 3537 to future versions

Question Update problem from 3537 to future versions

NOTE: I have attempted to open a ticket twice on this, but neight time have I received the ticket number confirmation email. I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

I have one production DSS v6 system (SAN1) running on a Dell PowerEdge 2950 and one DSS trial-mode system (SAN2) running on some older hardware.

I am trying to update SAN1 (6.0up07.8101.3537 64bit Updates: u23833, u23833, u33719, u33719, u33719) to the same level as SAN2 (6.0up13.8101.4023) so that we can trial the volume replication features with a view to buying a second DSS v6 license. But when I click "Check" under "Update Downloader", it displays "Please Wait" for a while, then times out, so I am not given the opportunity to automatically download any available updates.

I have looked at the dss6.0up13_b4023.oe_i.iso update release notes and this states I must have already installed 3719 or later. So I have downloaded upd_2009_11_3_2.upd (3539) 380Kb and attempted to upload this update manually. When I do so, the upload begins and then ends with "upload failed".

So I am stuck with my current version 3537, which I believe was built for me in response to some bugs I identified with the UPS and time-zone functionality of the GUI. Has this custom update somehow interfered with my ability to upload new updates?

Best regards

TFZ
    If it can go wrong, it generally will!

I have used replication with the demo disk in the past.
    Have you tried using the demo cd to test the replication?

Quote Originally Posted by techfreakz
    [...]
    I have looked at the dss6.0up13_b4023.oe_i.iso update release notes and this states I must have already installed 3719 or later. So I have downloaded upd_2009_11_3_2.upd (3539) 380Kb and attempted to upload this update manually. When I do so, the upload begins and then ends with "upload failed".

So I am stuck with my current version 3537, [...]
    Best regards

TFZ
    TFZ,
    I was facing similar problems and had to update by USB stick. Also, there seems to be a problem with fetching updates via proxies, so USB or similar seems to be the way to go for at least up to 4023 (which I haven't installed, yet. - we're at 3902 right now).

With regards,
    jmo

Thumbs up Upgrade completed

Hi everyone,

I received some details on how to perform the upgrade (which could probably be best described as re-installation + re-configuration).

1. I had to first backup all the data!
    2. I saved the "setup & configuration". Anybody have an idea as to what the difference is between "setup" & "configuration"?
    3. Next I copied the 4023 release to a USB key as per the standard installation method.
    4. I booted the SAN from the USB key and installed the new release over the top of the disk that contained the previous release. Since I didn't have the license key to hand, I just selected the 60-day trial option, but it'd make sense to add the correct key here to save rebooting later. It'd be nice if there was a method of just doing an "update" at this phase rather than having to nuke the old installation....
    5. I then logged in with the default password "admin", since the configuration is wiped during the installation process. NOTE: This includes ALL the NIC configuration data, so make sure you can still conect to and reconfigure a network port for access, if you use bonding as we do.
    6. I uploaded my saved "setup & configuration" and rebooted.
    7. I then logged in with my original (non-default) password.
    8. I was prompted that my trial had expired, so I entered out full DSS v6 license key, rebooted and activated over the internet.

This was a much more painful upgrade from 3537 to 4023 than I would have expected, but at least I got there in the end.

I'm looking forward to just being able to hit "check for updates" in the browser and it working from now on!!

Cheers

TZF
    If it can go wrong, it generally will!

Just a small note (which I would have needed in the largest print available when I did my upgrade ):

If you're using Fiber Channel and the DSS is to be the target, you need to manually change the FC adapter mode to "target" after re-applying the old setup&configuration (this is mentioned in the release notes, but I missed that piece of information then).

Regards,
    jmo

you have the DSSv6 up7, and you want to go to up13 ( or newer ) well try first to update to up9 , then after that update to the newer version you looking for. thats should work