Visit Open-E website

Thread: Tape Backup of iSCSI volumes

Default Tape Backup of iSCSI volumes

My firm has 2 Open-E DSS v6 server with several iSCSI volumes (for which replication/failover is setup). We are a "belt and suspenders and duct-tape" type of organization, and are looking to also backup the data to tape for off site storage.

I search the forums postings on the subject of backups, and I found a September 2008 post Backup iSCSI Volume Data in which To-M (from Open-E) states "... we are working on a solution to backup iSCSI Logical Volumes in the near future, no official time table is set yet". There hasn't been any more recent posting on point.

Further, my review of the Open-E publications found this item Backup Solutions with Open-E Data Storage Software. It states, another other points, that all data residing on DSS can be backed-up to a Tape Library or Tape Drive.

I have gone thru the setup of our servers and can't find anything that would enable iSCSI backups. What am I missing?

Thanks to all

Try this link
    http://forum.open-e.com/showthread.p...t=iscsi+backup
    you will need to use second copy

Quote Originally Posted by symm
    Try this link
    http://forum.open-e.com/showthread.p...t=iscsi+backup
    you will need to use second copy
    Symm,

Did you read my post?

1 - I clearly said that I want to backup to a tape device!

2 - I clearly said that I already had 2 DSS servers, and that I was already replicating between the units.

3 - My post quoted the exact same link you provided. So, pointing me to the same item was of zero help.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanLeyne
    Symm,

Did you read my post?

1 - I clearly said that I want to backup to a tape device!

2 - I clearly said that I already had 2 DSS servers, and that I was already replicating between the units.

3 - My post quoted the exact same link you provided. So, pointing me to the same item was of zero help.
    Wow, someone knows the definition of the word appreciation!

Quote Originally Posted by cphastings
    Wow, someone knows the definition of the word appreciation!
    I was, perhaps, a little curt, but...

To simply say "have a look at this link" and point me to a link that I had already included in my original posting, doesn't exactly help me...

Sean,

Quote Originally Posted by SeanLeyne
    My firm has 2 Open-E DSS v6 server with several iSCSI volumes (for which replication/failover is setup). We are a "belt and suspenders and duct-tape" type of organization, and are looking to also backup the data to tape for off site storage.
    [...]
    I have gone thru the setup of our servers and can't find anything that would enable iSCSI backups. What am I missing?

Thanks to all
    I've been looking into that subject myself and am eagerly hoping and waiting for a way to enable the Bacula client ("fd") on the DSS to communicate with an external Bacula server ("director"). Then it should be possible to even snapshot iSCSI and FC volumes (via the new API) to create somewhat consistent image backups of such volumes via Bacula.

If you run a different backup solution, things will be different. We have a functional Bacula environment where DSS would simply be another client.

With regards,
    jmo