Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trial version: can't even install, asks for volume group

Question trial version: can't even install, asks for volume group

Hi everyone!

Okay, I feel really stupid about this:

I am trying to install the trial version of open-e DSS v6 in an environment using 3 PCs just to find out about the basic functions of this software. All of the PCs are DELL (GX270). 2 of them are meant to acts as servers. One of them as a client. I know that stuff is crap and inappropriate, but it is just for basic testing and finding out how things work.

The problem is that after installing and rebooting, on the first screen where it says "Welcome to Data Storage Software v6" there is a message saying "This is a TRIAL version. You must create volume group in volume manager."

And I know it is stupid, but here I'm stuck. I thought I would create volume groups in open-e DSS and now it is expecting to find an already existing volume group and I can not go on?

What am I missing here? I don't get it.
    Doesn't that mean I have to do the second step before the first?

Someone help me please!

Christian

Additional info:
    All 3 PCs are empty with no OS

How do I create volume groups within the first screen after booting, showing:
    "Welcome to Data Storage Software V6
    --------------------------------------------
    Model: ...
    Version ...
    "

Is it possible? What do I have to do? Can't find anything in the menues.

if you press Ctrl + Alt + N does it get you to network interface setup?

If you can then you could use the web interface to setup volume groups.

Jon

Jon.... thank you very much!

I get to the web interface now... but I have no idea how create a new volume group.

I go to "Configuration" > "volume manager" and there should be an option "unit manager", but it isn't. So again... I cannot create volume groups.

How do you usually do it? Do I have to create volume groups somehow before installing open-e? The system is already complaining about not finding volume groups before I can even start it and manage stuff.

Christian

hmm...

The way I'm set up is;

Use hardware raid bios util to set up my raid,
    Boot and run open-e DSS v6 from a USB-DOM,
    use web interface and goto, config->vol manager->vol groups
    Select your unit and create a new volume group.

then set up an iSCSI target or setup as a NAS.

you've not got open-e installed on the disks you want to use for storage have you?
    I think the software has to be on a seperate unit from your storage.

Hope this helps,
    Jon

Thanks again!

Does it need a device of its own or is it okay to install on a partition on the same device?

Christian

a partition might be ok but to ensure your data is as safe as possible I would install it on a USB drive and just boot from that.
    I'm using an internal usb port for the OS and the hard drives do data only.

Jon

Okay...

I'll try more tomorrow and give you feedback then.

Thanks!

Christian

christan

let us know how you make out tomorrow

It seems that open-e doesn't accept partitions on a HDD but needs a seperate disk to be able to create a volume group. Booting from USB stick would work if that DELL stuff would accept anything and actually boot.

I will get new (of course old ones, but new to me ) PCs later and will try again then.

I know that normally noone would try it out on stuff that I use and I know that under normal circumstances it is a non existing problem... but oh well, that stuff is all that they give me for now.

Thanks for helping.