Visit Open-E website

Thread: [SMB] Desktop.ini error

Default [SMB] Desktop.ini error

Hi

Using DSS v6 (6u13 latest build), I found out that it is impossible to write a file named 'desktop.ini' to any SMB share.
    Any other ini file does not show this behaviour.

When renaming another file, it simply refuses, and when copying, it becomes corrupt, leaving a pf*.tmp file behind.

As a consequence, it is impossible to use a DSS Share as a Roaming profile store in a AD environment, since all customized folders use such a file.

My question therefore is, is this a known issue? Does it have anything to do with hiding files in samba?
    If so, is there a way for me to fix it myself?

Otherwise, it seems to be a bug, as it is hard to perceive it a feature

well, i tried the same with my DSSv6. But im using Active Directory Server 2003.
    In 2003 I didn't mention any problem with copying e.g. windows profiles on a SMB share (specially the desktop.ini).

Are you using AD 2008, 2008R2? Maybe the AD 2008 causes the problem?

Unhappy

I am also using AD 2003 and I doubt that the AD version is related in any way.
    Even when uploading other files than profiles, this issue appears.

Regardless of the share name, and regardless of the client (tried windows XP, Xpe and 7), I cannot copy, rename into, nor create a file named desktop.ini.

hmm that sounds strange. I'll give it another try, if i'll find some time for it. But as I said, I integrated the DSSv6 in our AD 2003 and I mentioned no problems.
    BUT the thread grabbed my attention, cause I heard from an other side about the same kind of problem with the Desktop.ini.

I always thought until now, the problem regards to AD.. hmm maybe another one could test that kind of szenario too and give us feedback?

Default Desktop.ini creation.

Hi,

Same issue here on 6.0up13.8101.4023.
    AD W2003 configured and working.

Very very annoying matter...

PM.

Hi,

I had the same issue and found how to handle with it. It seems Open-E hides desktop.ini file for some reason, but after I had unchecked option "Hide special folders" in SMB settings, I am now able to create this file in shares

yeah, obviously thats it!

after that it was possible to copy windows profiles (includes desktop.ini) without any problem to the share.

Thumbs up

That did the trick - I can't believe I overlooked this option, which was checked on default.
    Thank you very much!