Visit Open-E website

Thread: 3ware 9650SE-4LPML

Question 3ware 9650SE-4LPML

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on selecting a suitable Hardware RAID SATA2 controller.

My need is for a RAID10 using 4 x 1TB SATA2 drives. Battery backup option is useful for the future.

I hear good things about 3ware & Areca products.

I have looked at the Open-E HCL and most models that look promising are supported. However, the Areca cards with less than 8 ports don't appear to be "managed" through Open-E GUI or console, so this has pushed my decision towards the 3Ware 9650SE-4LPML.

Has anyone any experience of this card? Can it be managed through the OPen-E web GUI, or just the console?

It appears that the 3D2 management tools normally install on the computer that hosts the card. Does Open-E already have these tools installed?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Best regards

TFZ
    If it can go wrong, it generally will!

Hi,

i've used a 3ware 9650SE-4LP with 4*1TB SATA drives for a long time (before i've upgraded to the 3ware 9690SA-4I and SAS drives) without any problem.

Contrary to your wish configuration i used a RAID5, because more utlilizable space on the RAID ... only 25% of wasted space with a 4 drive configuration.

The 3DM2 web GUI could be directly accessed with " https://NAS-IP:888 " to set or change configuration on the 3ware controller ... or use the access over the NAS web GUI " >> setup >> H/W Raid >> 3DM "

Regards
    Marty

Thumbs up Thankyou

Hi Marty,

Thank you very much for your reply. This is exactly the kind of confirmation I was looking for.

Best regards

TFZ
    If it can go wrong, it generally will!

The areca cards (the ones with dedicated ethernet port) can be managed through Open-E or using the out-of-band mgmt capabilities of the card.