Visit Open-E website

Thread: vSphere Open-e

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default vSphere Open-e

Hello Guys.
    I do an installation with 3 nodes and a storage vSphere Open and that the client already has. There is a Best Practices guide for this installation?
    Which version of DSS should I use? Currently the version is 5.0.DB49000000.3278 with ESX 3.5. I would go to version vSphere 4. Should I upgrade to version 6 DSS?
    thanks...

We do have a document on a how to with VMware ESX 4.0 and the DSS V6 - "2010.02 Open-E DSS V6 MPIO with VMware ESX4 and Windows 2008" but you need to register your product to gain access to this or you can submit a support ticket thru your user portal and we can send this to you.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Default vSphere Open-e

Can I install vsphere 4 with open-and v5?
    Or vsphere only supports open-and v6?
    I have a client with the open-and v5 and would like to switch to vSphere 4.
    I do this?
    What should I do?

thanks

As you know we only certified with VMware 3.5 with DSS V5 but we know others have it working. We only have documents with the upgrade to DSS V5 to V6 with VMware that is located from the link below, and this is due to the default SCST that the DSS V6 has where the DSS V5 is using the IET and you should not have a problem with your connections or LUNs not being seen from the VMware side especially if it writes it signiture on the LUN.

http://www.kb.open-e.com/Why-VMware-...SS-V6_672.html
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Todd, there is a document that explains how to configure failover on Open-ISCSI and V. 5?
    I have not found and I have several doubts about the configuration.
    Can you help?
    I tried to configure Virtual IP on Open-e, but my ESX does not see the LUN and with the command vmkping I can not ping the Virtual IP. This is correct?
    I have configured iscsi-target ecc... but nothing!!!

thanks!

Hi axterisko,

Tell me more of what is happening on the DSS V5.

1) When setting the VIP's are they on the Primary and Secondary Node NICs (we do not want them on the NICs that are for the replciations)?

2) Are the Aux ports enabled for the NICs that the Primary and Secondary Node and for the Replication?

3) Make sure that the Target names are the same for the Primary and Secondary and for the LUNs and SCSI ID's - THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

thanks for reply!
    I have configured all! and it works!
    Could you tell me how enable jumbo frame on Open-E?

thanks