Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trouble use USB to install open-e

Default trouble use USB to install open-e

I can use the USB stick to boot open-e V6. but when i use it to install open-e , I got the error:

egrep: /proc/bus/usb/devices: No such file or directory
    #
    some info :

open-e Version: 6.0up14.8101.4221 64bit
    M/B : supermicro X8SIA-F
    CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) X3450 @2.67GHz

Thanks!

Read this PDF , it will show you the steps how to install open-e on your flash memory

http://www.open-e.com/download/libra..._file/get/115/

go with each step carfully. it should work.

and its better to format your USB stick befor you start all the work.

Hi sweet man,
    Thank you very much for you reply.

Yes, I have read the manual. And I have use the same USB to install open-e DSS V6 on other servers without any problem.

Maybe I have to use the ISO file to make a CD...

Default you welcome

Thank you too ekoh, well yes I think you may have a problem with the space at your flash memory ,it may doesn’t have enough space .

Also be sure that you are choosing the 64bit version because you have a Xeon CPU( 64-bit architecture processor

tell us what will happend with you .

Hi,

I have use a 4GB USB-Stick. And before use it , I have format it with FAT32.

When I boot my server from this USB-Stick, I can run TRIAL 64bit version and no problem. But, when I tyied to run INSTALLER. I got the error. And the server became freeze. :-(

then give it a try with the CD , to see if the problem still happend or not.

I've had exactly the same problem trying to install DSS v6 Lite on my supermicro MB based storage server. I've tried using the USB stick method as well as the CD method. I've tried installing to USB media as well as a local SATA hard drive. It just gives me the "No such file or directory" error and sits at a # prompt. I have to power cycle to get out.

Anyone from Open-E have any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by ishmell
    I've had exactly the same problem trying to install DSS v6 Lite on my supermicro MB based storage server.
    Same here, I would like to test the software before buying, but I'm not able to install it:

egrep: /proc/bus/usb/devices: No such file or directory
    #

What to do?

Regards from Duisburg,

Falk Brockerhoff

This looks like some installation issue, there is a video that might help in situations like this where you are having issues to get DSS V6 booting.

http://www.open-e.com/library/webcasts-and-videos/
    2010.09 Installing Open-E DSS V6 - EN
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

I've watched the suggested video and I'm still having trouble deciphering this error. I must have a clear and concise answer on what may be causing it.

Code:
    egrep: /proc/bus/usb/devices: No such file or directory#
    Everything described above by other members matches my experience. The system locks on this error and I'm forced to power cycle the server. I've tried installation via both CD and USB.

With both types of media I'm able to run Open-e in 64-bit "read only" mode. It's only when I attempt to install the software locally that I run into this error. Any assistance from an Open-e engineer would be greatly appreciated.