Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAS goes offline for no apparent reason

Default NAS goes offline for no apparent reason

We've had Open-E NAS-XSR Enterprise server for about 4 years, running ver 3.04.XE00000000.1876. It's never been updated (we don't do business with the company we bought it from anymore). At one time there were snapshots setup on the unit, but every time one would run it would go offline and not come back. I removed all the snapshots, but one is still stuck in the list (not the synchronize snapshot, but one defined as snap002). I can't seem to remove it. Yesterday, the snapshot decided to fire all on it's own. Now I can't keep the unit online for any length of time (I have to power it down and then back up to get it online again).

Has anybody had this problem before and if so, what is the solution?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Ken Izzo
    Montgomery Truss & Panel, Inc.

Try to remove the Snapshot from the Extended tool in the Console screen, when doing this it will restart the system.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

I went to the Maintenance tab on the GUI, selected Snapshot. Snap002 was enabled again. I clicked the "Remove" button under "Remove All Snapshots", but Snap002 doesn't go away. In fact, it was re-enabled this morning.

Am I missing something here?

Did you try from the Extended tool from the Console - just enter CTRL + ALT + X then select to remove Snapshots.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

No, but I will try that tonight after close of business. The only access I have right now is through the web GUI.

I just want to make sure I understand what you are asking - when you say the console, you are refering to the unit's actual monitor and keyboard, correct? Not a management console that is accessed remotely?

Sorry if this is a simplistic question, but just want to get this resolved with as few mis-steps as possible.

Ken

Yes from the monitor and keyboard on the server.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Understand. I'm not that familiar with this unit, just wanted to make sure of what I was supposed to do. Currently there isn't a monitor or keyboard attached to the Open-E, I had to get cables to do that tonight.

You can use Putty (SSH) to access the Console go to the GUI in SETUP -> administrator -> Function: Remote access - Read the help notes below or in the GUI.

Using this function, you can manage console tools remotely via the SSH protocol (secure shell). The default user is cli and cannot be altered. The password, however, can be changed.

Allow IP
    Here you can assign IP addresses (separated by a semicolon) which are granted remote access to the server. When left blank, the field indicates no restrictions.
    Set port
    The default port is 22222 for security reasons, because high-number ports are invisible to port scanners. You can only change the setting to a port within the 1024-65535 range. You cannot indicate ports already in use.
    Password
    Password length is 5 characters minimum. Be sure to use strong passwords.
    Confirm password
    Please retype your new password.

Password cannot contain:

* special characters such as ' " ` ^ & $ # [ ] \/ | *
    * spaces

To connect to the server from Linux/MacOSX systems use:
    ssh -2 -p 22222 -l cli ip_address
    where:

* option: -2 indicates the SSH protocol version used for connection
    * option: -p indicates the remote access port
    * option: -l indicates the user (the user needs to be cli)
    * option: address_ip indicates the address of the server to which you want to connect

You will be asked for the remote access password you have entered on the server.

To connect to the server from Microsoft Windows, download the free SSH client (Putty):

* in the Host Name (or IP address) field, enter the IP address of the server
    * in the Port field, enter the same port as in the server GUI (default 22222)
    * in the Protocol field, select SSH
    * in the category: Connection -> Data -> Auto-login-username, enter: cli
    * in Terminal -> Keyboard -> The Function Keys and keypad, select VT100+
    * go back to the Session category, enter the session name in the Saved Sessions field, and click the Save button
    * click on the newly saved session, click Open, and enter the password. (If you have not entered the Auto-login-username, Putty will prompt you for a username. At the prompt, enter cli).
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

I've successfully setup putty and removed all the snapshots and snapshot configs. So far so good . . .

What can I do to check the integrity of the RAID and the physical drives? I think I have a bad drive in the array - the 3Com array controller says it's a 5 drive array but only 4 are listed. One of the drive bays has a green light that's on all the time, which I suppose is the bad drive. I'm not familiar with this type of hardware - how do I check if the drive is bad and what do I do to replace it?

Thanks for all your help!

Ken Izzo
    Montgomery Truss

Not knowing the type of RAID controller from 3Ware but you can go here to there website and or ask there Forum users there but I believe it is a function to perform a RAID Verify.

http://www.3ware.com/support/downloadpage.asp
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"