Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the NAS_XSR be part of a domain and also have FTP users?

Default Can the NAS_XSR be part of a domain and also have FTP users?

I've successfully revived our NAS-XSR and created a new logical volume. We'd like to use this for an external FTP server. My question is, can the NAS-XSR be part of a Windows domain and also have seperate FTP users that only have access to folders we specify?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Ken Izzo
    Montgomery Truss
    Ken Izzo
    Montgomery Truss & Panel, Inc.

I guess I should add that the FTP users would not be domain users . . .
    Ken Izzo

If you are using the ADS authentication method then then the FTP users will have to adopt the same procedures.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

We are using Windows PDC . . .
    Ken Izzo

If the NAS server uses Windows domain authorization the short domain name along with a plus sign must precede the username, e.g. DOMAIN+Administrator.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hmm . . . is there a way to control what folder a domain users has access through via FTP? If not, is there a way to control what folder a local user has access through?

I can't seem to find our manuals for this server. Can you provide a link to download a manual for me?

Thanks!
    Ken Izzo

Click on the link below for the manual.

http://www.open-e.com/service-and-su...erprise/files/
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Thanks for the link!

Now, here's what I'd like to do . . .

I've dropped the NAS from the domain, and set it's authentication method to workgroup (internal LDAP). I've created a couple of local users and some test shares. I'd like to have a user log on and only see the share that I want them to see. I should be able to do that by setting the SFTP mode under FTP Settings for the share, and giving that user access to the share, correct?

I've set the NAS up exactly as described, but when I log on as a user I still am taken to the "pubs" folder initially and get access to the all of the FTP shares even though that user hasn't been granted access to any of those shares.

Am I going about this the wrong way? Does it take a fair amount of time for the permissions to propagate across the NAS? I've waited about 5 minutes and still get the same behavior . . .

I think I've very close to having what I want, I just need a little more understanding of how FTP works with the NAS. Any clarification you can give me would be a great help!

Thanks again!
    Ken Izzo

Permissions in the LDAP are effective once applied and giving that user access to the share and no one else is given permissions then only he will access it.

You might want to think about getting the DSS V6 as there are far more feature for the FTP then the End of Life XSR product.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

I just double checked all of the settings and when the user logs on the root folder is still "pubs". This is a bit confusing . . .

Do I have to use SFTP for ALL of the shares on the NAS? I have one test share that uses anonymous access . . .

I'm using what I got . . . If I can make this work, even on a limited basis it will make it easier to replace it with something more versatle later on . . .

The curse of working for a small business . . .
    Ken Izzo