Visit Open-E website

Thread: "Function: Hide special folders": Safe to switch off with data on disk?

Default "Function: Hide special folders": Safe to switch off with data on disk?

Hello dear forum!

If i turn off the Option "Hide special folders" in SMB-Settings, what is the worst that can happen to my data on the volume? I suspect the option to cause my copy/move-problems from OSX (see recent posts) and would like to try to switch it off.

But the Manual says: "It is not recommended to change these settings on servers that already have some data stored."

Any experiences?

Thanks, Flo

Well I'd make sure to backup the data before doing it. Since the buyer beware clause is already there.. ya know..

hello and hello mister senior member!

since nobody really answered, but i still beleive in forums to get answers for als those billions of little questions, i want to share this:

after making backup i simply switched of the "Hide Special Folders" option in NAS-Config and now all my problems accesing the DSS V6 Lite through smb from a mac are gone! and nothing bad happend, as i feared..

i think its neccesary to switch this option of if you access DSS from a mac via smb, because mac osx is not really happy without its little .DS_Store&Co stuff....

florian