Visit Open-E website

Thread: more than 31 FC devices?

Default more than 31 FC devices?

Hi,

I'm experiencing difficulties when assigning devices to fiber channel targets (ie xxx23). I see the assignments in the web interface, but not in fc_target_dump.log. Wouldn't bother me, but I cannot access the disk either.

-> xxx06
    --> names
    29:00:11:00:aa:00:10:06
    --> devices
    Device (host:ch:id:lun or name) LUN Options
    IUuGyQxjZZDOIBFk 0
    -> xxx23
    --> names
    29:00:11:00:aa:00:10:23
    --> devices
    -> xxx28
    --> names
    29:00:11:00:aa:00:40:01
    --> devices
    mYob6cj4LpzniDvR 0
    -> xxx29
    --> names
    29:00:11:00:aa:00:40:02
    --> devices
    2VDiFCBhNj3Eb8lF 0
    gJs5PI8w4pCDPy1K 1

Maybe a coincidence, but we have 31 FC disks assigned to the groups (plus two for iSCSI), which is rather close to 2^5.

So, can anyone confirm to have more that 31 disks assigned to FC groups?

With regards

jmo

Hi all,

just for the records: Open-E does support more than 31 FC target devices - we've had other difficulties.

And for the curious: For unknown reasons, the LVs we wanted to assign to the FC target groups were created but not properly set up as LUNs (could be noticed in the volume group management: ie the block size was displayed as "n/a").

The web ui did present the LVs when managing the FC target groups, but the configuration underneath failed because of the missing LUN.

A major "thank you" to Open-E support for spotting this problem!

With regards,

jmo

Hello JMO ,thank you for your post , actully i was looking to ask how much devices can be supported with DSS? isn't it possible to be more than the number you put ( 31) if i had more FC interfaces?

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_man
    Hello JMO ,thank you for your post , actully i was looking to ask how much devices can be supported with DSS? isn't it possible to be more than the number you put ( 31) if i had more FC interfaces?
    sweet_man,

the limit I suspected is not present. We're accessing more than 31 LUNs since we've fixed the original configuration problem.

And it's definitely not depending on the number of FC interfaces - think of FC switches in between.

What number are you after? Initiators connecting to the DSS? Targets the DSS can access, itself being initiator? LUNs (total), LUNs per target? You might want to be more specific to receive an useful answer.

With regards,
    jmo