Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot create new iSCSI volume

Default Cannot create new iSCSI volume

hello,
    San has three volume groups VG00 with 100G free space, VG01 (300G free space) and VG03 (920G free space)

I cannot create either another iSCS logical volume or snapshot on any of the VGs. Have not tried expanding any of the existing LVs in case it corrupts them, this is a production machine.

have followed the process from the user manual exactly: from configuration - volume manager, select action "new iSCSI volume (or "new snapshot") use the slider or type in the size and press "apply" button. Status changes to "please wait" with the rotating indicator, then the screen returns with no logical volume created and the free space exactly the same as before. Screen shots are available if required.

I have tried this on all three VGs.

In iSCSI target manager I can create new targets but that doesn't go very far as there are no (available) iSCSI volumes on the system.

have not tried rebooting the san yet, would like to have a better idea what is going on before trying that

Exclamation

A bit more information. I tried restarting the san anyway, and it will not restart or shutdown from the web browser control panel. So I then tried from the console (C-A-K, C-A-S) and it won't shutdown from there either - a very brief "input/output" error flashes oncreen.
    So it looks like a serious issue, hope someone can help with this

What version are you using for the iSCSI? Is it iSCSI-R3 or iSCSI Enterprise? You might want to update again or re-flash, if this is just a new problem something just recently happend and without logs to diagnose the issue we will have to start looking at a few things, like the RAID controller or memory, perform a memtest from rebooting the system and hit the ESCAPE key and run the memtest for an hr and then after try to do a RAID verify on the Array.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Iscsi r3 enterprise (looks like I put in the wrong forum)
    I opened a support can and was advised to hard reboot the san. (Sorry don't have the ticket number as exchange is one of the things not working now) Anyway, san rebooted with "system corrupted, no usb flash module has been found" Have looked in the Knowlege base and tried the things given there, cannot flash the DOM, trying to load the demo software but it it DSS 6. I've installed a boot HDD in the san (Intel McKay Creek) and it will boot DSS ok off that, I can see all the Volume groups and logical volumes from the GUI but cannot access them from a server the san attaches to. Am goign to try the local supplier of Open-E later this morning to see if they have another iSCSI r3 DOM but right now it 3am and I'm giving up.

Can you try with another browser like Firefox or try to clear the cache on the browser or use another PC to connect to the DSS V6.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Well the label on the DOM says "Open-E iSCSI-R3 Enterprise" so I'm assuming thats what it is.
    Latest thing - when I start the GUI and look at the Volume groups it says "32 Bit not supported" so DSS has installed itself as 64 bit I guess. relally really hoing that it's not trashing the LVs that are there- i have backups but it do not want to go down that path.

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    Can you try with another browser like Firefox or try to clear the cache on the browser or use another PC to connect to the DSS V6.
    Did try Firefox but that complained about "peer certificate invalid signature, error code sec-error-bad-signature"

Can you see the support calls that have been logged and the responses?

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    What version are you using for the iSCSI? Is it iSCSI-R3 or iSCSI Enterprise? You might want to update again or re-flash, if this is just a new problem something just recently happend and without logs to diagnose the issue we will have to start looking at a few things, like the RAID controller or memory, perform a memtest from rebooting the system and hit the ESCAPE key and run the memtest for an hr and then after try to do a RAID verify on the Array.
    Not sure how long ago this started. The thing has been rock solid since install, uptime was 472 days prior to yesterdays restart, and haven't had to do a lot of LV changes until a new Xen virtual machine was required yesterday. All gone bad from there.

Access the console screen then enter CTRL + ALT + T then Boot options then System architecture then select 32bit mode. Save then reboot the system using CTRL + ALT + K, your volumes are ok it is because the DSS V6 defaults to 64bit mode.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

I would also do a RAID health check for the Array to make sure that the drives or the Array are ok.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"