Visit Open-E website

Thread: What am I missing?

Default What am I missing?

Ok I'm feeling very stupid after installing the trial version. I've logged in and created a volume group. It says it's in use, when I click on the name of the volume group on the left pane I get a screen that shows the Unit assigned and the Dynamic Volume Explore box. that's it nothing else. I can't find any open to create LV's on the Volume Group. I also can't find any option to delete the Volume Group.

Am I blind and/or stupid?

Thanks,

John

look in the volume manager,
    you can create indivudal volumes here. (NAS, iSCSI or FC)

If your using a NAS volume, also create a uses so you can log in.

Ok so bear with me here for a minute. I click on Configuration then Volume Manager then Volume Groups. From there I created a volume group, that worked just fine. Exactly as described in the manual it refreshed and shows the volume group is in use.

From that point, if I click on the name of the volume group in the left pane all that comes up shows me the unit assigned and the dynamic volume explore. If I go into Configuration -> iSCSI Target Manager -> Targets it tells me "no system volume found. This is the same message I get for NAS or FC. This makes sense since I didn't define any logical volumes, however going back to what happens when I click on the volume group name I'm never given any options to create a logical volume.

You may have created a dynamic volume with all of your disk space.
    can you delete the dynamic volume from volume manager there is a red x
    click on that and it will delete that volume.

then create a new NAS or iscsi volume or both, make it small 5gb to test
    you can always expand your volume but cannot make it smaller.

for nas create a user and assign it to the nas volume

for iscsi create a target and add the volume to the target (green +)

if you still have problem post a screen shots of what you have

Ok I see the errors of my way now. I added some more storage to the physical array and I was able to create a regular volume group and everything seems to work and make sense now.

I had created a dynamic with all the available space. I do have one related issue though. That dynamic group won't let me delete it, there is no delete button like there is for the regular group I created. Every time I click on the group it just takes me to the volume explorer.

Since this is a test system it's not a huge issue. When I move this to production I'll reinstall and have the physical array reconfigured anyway but I'm curious why that won't let me delete it. I'd hate to have this on a production machine and make the same mistake.

Thanks,

Default i can't find read x to delete volume

i can't find red X to delete volume, view attach

help me remove wrong volume