Visit Open-E website

Thread: Upgrade to 6.0up35.8101.4452 64bit - Lost iSCSI connections

Default Upgrade to 6.0up35.8101.4452 64bit - Lost iSCSI connections

My ESX Servers can no longer connect and see the LUNs on the DSS...

Any ideas? I have rebooted the DSS twice and rescanned on ESX 15+ times.

I was already using SCST, so it's not a problem switching to that...

Reverted to: 6.0up14.8101.4221 64bit and did a config restore and it rebooted and all my LUNs returned.

How can I update to 4452 without losing all my LUNs again?

It appears to be related to the update for 4362

I tried to go from 4221 to 4362 and it broke again.

In the release notes for 4362 it states: "New version of iSCSI target architecture (SCST)" This is probably what is causing the issues...

What steps can I take to get my ESX4 servers to see the target/luns/volumes again?

Have you created the LUNs with DSSv6 (with SCST)? Otherwise the following KB article will help you.

Perhaps a resignaturing which is described here can help. This works only in ESXi 3.5.

Quote Originally Posted by SvenB
    Have you created the LUNs with DSSv6 (with SCST)? Otherwise the following KB article will help you.

Perhaps a resignaturing which is described here can help. This works only in ESXi 3.5.
    Hi! Yes, the LUNs were created originally on a DSSv6... version 3536 or something, don't quite remember.

All of the LUNs are visible and the volumes show up in ESX4 when I'm on 4221. As soon as I upgrade to 4452 they disappear and the only way I can get them back is to revert back to 4452.

I'm wondering if this is a config problem, are there any major config changes since 4221 to the new version that would cause this kind of problem?

I did notice that if I tried to remove targets in 4452 or add additional targets, the page would just refresh and nothing would happen.

I was able to get to 4362 by removing all ESX Volumes, Deleting all Volumes from Volume Groups in DSSv6, recreating all volumes as Block I/O instead of File I/O and then representing those to ESX4.

I then upgraded from 4221 to 4362 and the volumes are still present and LUNs still connecting to ESX.

I will try to 4452 upgrade now and post the results.

Upgrade to 4452 worked perfectly when using Block I/O rather than File I/O...

Apparently VMWare is less picky with Block targets.