Visit Open-E website

Thread: Citrix Xenserver and Multipathing

Thread has average rating 5.00 / 5.00 based on 1 votes.
Thread has been visited 12013 times.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Citrix Xenserver and Multipathing

Hi,
    we are evaluating a network with 8 Citrix Xen Servers and one Open-E DSS V6 Server. My Question is:
    Is there a way to configure Open-e to provide MPIO LUN's to my Xenserver?

I could only find informations and howtos with open-e and Windows 2008.

best regards
    Sebastian

The short answer is yes. Just create multiple targets. it's been discussed alot in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by enealDC
    The short answer is yes. Just create multiple targets. it's been discussed alot in this forum.
    enealDC,

Could you elaborate how to get a permanent MPIO connection with Xenserver to DSS V6 or point me to any links that do so.

Thanks!

Default mpio

Quote Originally Posted by enealDC
    I have created another target and wanting to use the same LUN but when I click "Target1" it says "Info No iSCSI volumes in the system." . I want it to march target 0 which has volume lv0000 and lun 0 assigned.

How does one ago about doing this?

thanks
    Barry

Thanks for your reply!
    But now I'm confused ....

Yesterday the presales support told me that there is NO possibility to get multipathing working in combination with Citrix Xen. I've seen some posts regarding this issue on this forum, but all topics are a little bit outdated. So, whats right now?

Scenario:
    I've got one big open-e Server that should serve 8 of my Citrix Xenserver. I'm thinking about multipathing because of the better performance in the comaprison to a balance rr bond.

best regards
    Sebastian

Quote Originally Posted by slemens
    Thanks for your reply!
    But now I'm confused ....

Yesterday the presales support told me that there is NO possibility to get multipathing working in combination with Citrix Xen. I've seen some posts regarding this issue on this forum, but all topics are a little bit outdated. So, whats right now?

Scenario:
    I've got one big open-e Server that should serve 8 of my Citrix Xenserver. I'm thinking about multipathing because of the better performance in the comaprison to a balance rr bond.

best regards
    Sebastian
    Did you ever get an answer for this? Was getting ready to try getting MPIO working myself and thought I'd ask first before beating my head against a wall if it doesn't work.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by slemens
    Yesterday the presales support told me that there is NO possibility to get multipathing working in combination with Citrix Xen.
    Open-E or XenServer presales ?

Question How does it work ?

I am also very curious how that works. I am looking at this for a few days now.

I found this document: http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX118791 (see: Basic Multipath Configuration).

In short, the only thing you do is change two host-parameters (for every host):
    xe host-param-set other-config:multipathing=true uuid=host_uuid
    xe host-param-set other-config:multipathhandle=dmp uuid=host_uuid

Now XenServer connects two times to the same target.. ? What does this change about the redundancy.. ?
    You should at least have two targets and tell Xen the name of the other target... or tell Xen the target is also available at another IP address (and route that over another switch)... Can someone please explain this ?

I searched all over the forums and didn't find an answer or case.