Visit Open-E website

Thread: DSS : Portmapper and NFS out of order

Default DSS : Portmapper and NFS out of order

Hello,

Transtec DSS Version: 5.0.DB49000000.3278 with some NAS volumes and some iSCSI volumes.

Following a restart, all the NFS shares of my NAS are now unavailable.

# showmount -e 150.2.39.9
    mount clntudp_create: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

# rpcinfo -p 150.2.39.9
    rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote system error - Connection refused

There's NO firewall between the clients and the DSS.

On the Web interface, in Configuration/Nas setting, "Use NFS" is checked, as well as on the shares. There's no IP restriction in place.

If I uncheck "Use NFS" and Apply : it takes 2 seconds. When I recheck the box and Apply, the web interface waits and waits and waits for a few minutes then stops (as if after a timeout) and the problem is still there : NO nfs.

The number of nfsd is set at the default: 64. The DSS has 18Gb of RAM.

The shares are accessible via samba and the content is perfectly normal. I attempted a Repair via the Extended Tools and rebooted, still nothing.

It looks like the nfs daemons and/or portmap fail to start, but I have no way to know why: nothing appears in the Event Viewer. No message, nothing.

I have some servers that need NFS access to this NAS.

Help ?

Can you submit a ticket from the support page - I might need to look at the critical error logs to see anything and or I can get you an update. Also try to update to the latest release to build 3518.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hello and thank you for your answer.

I'm currently downloading "Open-E DSS update ver. 5.00 up62 zip build 3518" to upgrade, but it might take some time before I have a maintenance window.

I'm submitting a ticket, but I don't know how to access the "critical error log"?

This device is on a private network and there's no way I can give access to anyone outside of my company.

Regards

Correction. I found it in status/hardware.

Sorry.

Ticket is created and logs attached

Problem was solved after updating to build 3518.

NFS became "unstuck".

Probably normal, since it clobbered the whole previous system, just keeping the setup and configuration. Glad I didn't have to restore backups anyway.

Only problem is the NFS shares suddenly became prefixed with /shares/ and I had to unregister all the VMs on these shares, umount the shares, remount them with the new name and re-register the VMs.

Tedious at best...

The first boots with the new version took a very very long time, the web interface being unresponsive, even after everything was accessible again.

A final reboot gave me the web gui back.