Visit Open-E website

Thread: Transfer data to new open-e head

Question Transfer data to new open-e head

Hi,

i'm new to the forum and have a question regarding data replication.

We just got a new server with DSS V6 and 24x 2TB drives. Now we want to transfer the data (around 15TB) from our old system, which is already upgraded to DSS V6, to the new one. Easiest way would be to connect the 24 disk array subsystem we use at the moment via FC to the new server. But since the old open-e server is running in 32bit mode and we want to use 64bit mode with the new one that's not working.

So i thought about volume replication and found this article in the knowledgebase "Can I replicate my DSS V5 to V6 and what is recommended". But that won't work because as i said already the old head is running in 32bit mode, we also choose file i/o for the iscsi volumes and "use volume replication" is not selected. With the new one we want to use block i/o because of automatic failover.

There is another article about "How to backup to iscsi target volume over a lan". After reading it i think that this could work. I also could synchronize over wan with rsync but that wouldn't be very fast.

Is there someone here who used this in practice or had the same problem and found another solution?

Thanks
    Thomas

Thomas,

we had moved our data via the native protocols via an intermediate machine - FC volumes to FC volumes and NFS to NFS. The intermediate machine was IP- and FC-connected to both DSS servers.

That seemed to be the safest way to do the job.

Regards,
    Jens