Visit Open-E website

Thread: FC LUN Mapping Question

Default FC LUN Mapping Question

Hi Folks !

I am a new member on your forums evaluating the DSS product for implementation at my DataCenter.

I have downloaded DSS trail ver eval 60 days version 6.0up35.8101.4452 64bit and installed the same.

Now my plan is to create a LUN and map it to my host.

Steps that i have followed are as follows :

1) installed DSS
    2) changed the setting from I to T in Setup > FC > QLogic ( I have Qlogic 2462 card)
    3) Rebooted the box
    4) in Config > FC Target Manager > Groups , created a new group
    5) added my destination host WWN numbers as aliases in to the new group
    6) added my LV to the group by clicking the + button

after the above steps LUN does not come on my host. I have connected the open-e box directly to my host for testing purpose

Please let me know if any steps are missing .

Regards,
    Gopi

What is the host OS (Microsoft or VMware or other?).
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hi,
    The Host OS is IBM AIX 6.1 .

Regards,
    Gopi

I dont have much info with the FC and AIX, can you try with different blocksize values. Also if you can test with another OS to make sure that the FC HBA's are ok or check from the BIOS level of the cards or CLI to see if they see each other.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hey !

Thanks for the reply. Would do the testing on windows OS and check if lun appears. wanted to know if AIX as an operating system is supported for FC luns and SCSI luns .

Regards,
    Gopi

We know this works with NFS, iSCSI and should work as well with FC but dont have anyone reporting this, though strange as someone should over the years so I cant imagine it would not work. Try also to reboot the DSS V6 one more time as well. But I would look into changing the Blocksize and set the LUN to 0 and check to see if they are seeing each other from the CLI scanning method in the HBA's.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hey !

I have just tested the open-e box for FC with LUN mapped on to my windows host having block size of 512. The LUN has appeared on windows host without any issues. However, the same does not appear on AIX host .

Any ideas? the steps followed are same as the ones mentioned above. If any specific configuration to be done on a general UNIX host which maybe i have missed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Gopi

Try to restart the AIX system then try once more to connect, I found a case about 2.5 yrs ago where this worked for one customer.

Another idea is to match the iSCSI Daemon options from the Console to the AIX system.

Go to the console tools:
    Ctl-Alt-W
    Select Tuning Options
    Select iSCSI Daemon options
    Select Target Options
    Select a target
    match all to the host for things like MaxRecvDataSegmentLength and MaxXmitDataSegmentLength.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Check the logs to see if there are any messages in the dmesg logs that look like the following:

scsi_cmnd_start(1011) Unsupported 15
    scsi_cmnd_start(1011) Unsupported 55
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

At console of Open-E DSS V6 Server hit C-A-T, then "7 Treiber Optionen ändern", "qla2xxx" Editieren. There change "qlini_mode" to "disabled".

I disabled "IOStraemingGuard" at the vmware host's FC-Switch Port too, so thw vmware Server recognizes a changed FC LUN mapping without a reboot.