Visit Open-E website

Thread: Lost my LUN's in VMware

Angry Lost my LUN's in VMware

Hi,

OK the title isn't particularly correct. What we have is 'shifted targets' which is just as disastrous.

So we have a VMWare (ESX4 up01) server talking to Open-e SAN with 4 volumes. Say vol 1, 2, 3, 4 - iSCSI targets 1,2,3,4 as far as VMware is concerned. VMware uses Vol1/VMFS1 is Target 1, Vol2/VMFS2 is Target 2 etc etc ....simple.

I wanted to increase the size of Vol 4 so I deleted it - there is no data on it. However VMware now sees Vol1 OK, Vol2 / VMFS2 is now Target 8! (for some obscure reason), Vol3/VMFS3 is now Target2, and Vol4/VMFS4 (which I deleted) is now Target 3. Big mess.

In open-e I an still 'see' the volumes as I expect them to be after the deletion, but VMware definately can't.

Luckily we were using replaceable data on all but the Vol1 - which has remained intact.

Anybody seen anything like this before? I'm happy to accept I may have mis-configured or something - but this shouldn't be possible on an 'Enterprise' SAN should it?

Open-e support can't find anything wrong - but I'm very nervous about putting more critical data on it.

Any ideas where to start?

The only idea I have had (whilst writing this) is that I could not understand why Vol1 would be OK when the others had the problems, the only difference is that Vol1 is on a different Vol Group. Should all Vols be on a seperate Volume group?

Lots of questions.....thanks for any help.

I had a problem like this

I had the used a duplicate lun numbers on the Vmware side

check the link
    http://communities.vmware.com/message/701181#701181

Why would you have the volumes in seperate iSCSI Targets?

The way I have it setup and the most typical way to do it would be:

On the DSS - Target0 -> Contains LUNs for all 4 volumes. LUN IDs should be 1,2,3,4 (NONE set to 0)

VMWare doesn't like when you mess with Targets, but LUNs are a little easier to mess with. Basically, if you wanted to increase the size of the volume for let's say... LUN 4, you would remove LUN 4 from that target, resize the Volume, then re-attach to the target as LUN 4 again and rescan on the ESX server.

Feel free to email me at: (drewmeyer at 1parkplace dot com) and I can exchange screenshots of my setup so you can see it firsthand.

Hi Thanks for the replies.

Symm - I checked again and certainly not duplicate LUN numbers. So I don't think that was the issue but thanks anyway.

1parkplace - thanks for the info - I didn't believe what I was doing WAS playing with the targets - but evidently it must have. Certainly OPen-E support didn't see anything wrong with the config otherwise I ma sure they would have told me. But I guess there are lots of ways of doing this. I'll send you that email to get a look at the config. Cheers